Saturday, July 15, 2017

July 15th

I was sitting on the couch thinking of how this year is literally halfway over. As I age, it seems that the years fly by. Time moves so quickly and feels accelerated. It seems unfair that the closer you get to running out of time, the faster it goes. There ought to be a way to tap those breaks. The real cruelty of aging is the loss of eyesight and growth of chin hairs. Tweezers can become weapons that remove chunks of flesh in the effort to pull out that offending hair! Then there are the aches and pains! Don't get me started! There are times I wouldn't be surprised if a random body part just fell off!

When I was a kid, in grade school, the summer time seemed like forever. Playing outside, riding my bike and splashing in our small, blow up, backyard pool, was something that I woke up eager to do every day. Catching bugs in mayonnaise jars, staying out till the street lights came on and running inside to eat a home cooked meal, ahhhh, I remember it well.

Coming from a family situation that was financially limiting, I never really knew that fact. My Mom was widowed at an early age and raised 2 girls as best she could. I sincerely don't remember feeling "poor". She was a "make do or do without" kinda woman. I guess, living through the Great Depression, left her with a frugal outlook. I felt very loved, and really, that's all that counts. Don't want to get too maudlin here.

Speaking of the year being halfway over, I can't wait till the weather gets cooler. I like to sit outside and be in the garden or watching the hens goof off, but this humidity is limiting that. But, soon, it'll be autumn and then Christmas.


This day in history.............
(neat, huh, how I tied that right in?)
 
 
 
But, there's this too.....
 
Thankfully,after years, that catastrophe is finally shaping up.
 
 
After an afternoon nap,(an activity I am becoming disturbingly fond of. There was a time I thought only old people took naps, but now, just the thought fills me with contented anticipation) the weather was slightly more accommodating, so the CEO and I ventured out.
 
 
 
 
The CEO, texted me the other day.
The text read "We've sprung a leek!"
 
I love puns!
Speaking of puns, my son texted a few.....
 
and another one.....
 
"I have a step ladder.
I never knew my real ladder.......
 
Very puny!
 
 
 
 
It was getting dark and the girls were settling in for the night. They ambled back to the coop and jumped up on the roosting bars. They can't ignore the coop's siren song of sleep.

Hold the phone! Wait a minute!
I've seen this movie!
And it doesn't end well........
 

 
 
 
and I'll leave you with this.......
 
"If you know somethin' well, you can always paint it, but people would be better off buyin' chickens"
Grandma Moses
 
 
 
 

No comments: