Thursday, June 14, 2018

June 14th Flag Day

 
Happy Flag Day.
Thought I'd share a few flag trivia facts
 
****************
 
1) The red, white and blue were chosen to represent:
valor (red), liberty & purity (white) and
loyalty (blue).
2) When President Eisenhower wanted to add the 49th and
50th states to the flag, he received thousands of ideas,
but the winner came from a 17 year old from Ohio.
His version is the flag we use today.
Amazingly, he got a B- on that project.
3) You can view the 200 year old flag that flew over
Ft McHenry, that inspired the "Star Spangled Banner" at the
Smithsonian. Its huge!
4) When the flag is folded, it is in a triangle.
There are symbols for every fold.
Fold 1, symbol of life
Fold 2, belief in eternal life.
Fold 3, honor & remembrance of veterans.
Fold 4, God's Divine guidance.
Fold 5, tribute to our country.
Fold 6, pledging allegiance to the flag
Fold 7, tribute to all armed forces.
Fold 8, to those that enter the valley of the shadow of death.
Fold 9, tribute to all womanhood.
Fold 10, tribute to fatherhood.
Fold 11, glorifies the God of Abraham.
Fold 12, symbol for God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.
Fold 13, symbol for In God we trust.
Knowing all this, I can fully appreciate the flag
that was presented to my mom upon my Dad's death.
This was kinda lengthy, but interesting.
I found this info on a flag manufacturing site.
 
***************************
One of our sunflowers.
The flower is so tall, it's even with my face!
Its about the size of a dinner plate.
Beautiful!
 
Our cherry tomatoes are really coming in.
I've cranked up the dehydrator,
so I can use this harvest in all kinds of ways.
I use the dried veggies in my herbal blends,
in olive oil,
and
 as additives in cooking.
I've also discovered that the
hens have developed a taste for tomatoes too.
Witches!
Nothing is off limits for them.
They'll literally eat anything.
This is Sandy,
Yes, she's startled.
I caught her red handed,
eating a tomato.
well, not exactly red handed......
no hands,
but,
her whole beak was inside of a tomato!
I yelled at her to "Beat It",
while waving my arms!
All I succeeded in doing was seeing her with this expression on her face.
Clearly,
those girls aren't afraid of me.
Damn it!
It was a green Creole!
 
Witches! 
 
I was complaining about the hens eating
anything and everything,
and that my precious Creole tomatoes
were being systematically consumed
by the girls...........
But,
Leia wasn't even listening.
She was camped out on the floor.
Chillin'
Not a care in the world.
Not even about my tomato issues.
 
 
 
Oh, No!
There's leeks in the sink!
(They are going into the dehydrator too.)
 
*********************************
 
This is Hazel. She's always on the perch outside the coop.

 These are the other girls.
They always bunch together,
regardless of how hot or cold it is.
Hazel is never "in that number".
She lives by the beat of her own drum.
At least I haven't caught her eating my tomatoes,
Ya hear that Hazel?
You'd better not snarf down those tomatoes!
 
**********************************
 
***********************************
 
 
And remember.........
 

3 comments:

Melissa said...

So much to comment on
💩🤣
Sunflower 🌻 is beautiful
Tomatoes 🍅 look beautiful
You have health chickens who eat there veggies

Melissa said...

And
Flag info really interesting

Sue said...

My comments never show up, but I like the entire post, but the poop one is soooo true!