Monday, December 24, 2018

December 24th



Twas the night before Christmas,
when all through the house,
not a creature was stirring......

Well, a few of us are still stirring anyway.
Papa isn't in his cap, but he's on the couch watching TV.
Mama, is however, in her gown, typing this post.
The best dog in the whole world is laying at my feet,
while I try to drown out the noise of "Quantum of Solace"

Sorry James Bond, but I just can't watch your movie anymore.
But, "White Christmas" played in the background through 3
showings today. Can't beat that music!

Today started out promising....
It was a beautiful Goldilocks morning, not too cold, just right!
Plans were not made, but they could have been.
But the day ended the same as usual, these past few weeks.
That's not a bad commentary, its just how it has been here.

I am hoping Santa will bring me winning lottery tickets.
Then I remembered, I haven't been out in 3 weeks, but to the grocery.
So, those tickets won't be in my stocking.
Oh, well, I should be thankful for all I have....
and I am, but those tickets would be really appreciated, Santa.

I'm thankful for a mortgage free roof over my head,
For a car that's 14 years old but runs great,
For a family that is the absolute best,
For friends that are like family,
For the fact that I live in this country,
For my family and myself being healthy.
What else is there?
Monetary possessions?
Do I NEED them?
No. They're nice to have, but not necessities.
I happily embrace this simple life.
Thank you Santa,
you really did give me an incredible Christmas present!

***********************************************

This is broccoli.
Note the chewed off leaves that are close
to its wire enclosure?
Well, that's the work of the chicken girls.
I caught them red handed!
(red beaked, would be more appropriate)
I scolded them for sampling the produce.
I don't think they'll listen.
 

This is 2 new artichoke plants.
That brown stuff in the middle is
the old plant.
We thought it had died but these growths are new.
Yay!
 
*************************
Chickens 101
Sleeping chickens.
Chickens go into a kind of stupor when they sleep.
When it starts to get dark, they march into the coop.
They either group together on one side,
or sit in one of the roost boxes.
With darkness coming earlier in the winter,
they automatically sleep till day break.
Sleep for them is odd.
I've seen them sprawled out in the grass or dirt oblivious to everything.
So, they do take naps during the day.
I've seen them sleep during the day with one eye open and one closed
but only for the outdoor naps.
My guess is that it's a protection against predators
But, that behavior, I've only seen in the summer.
Makes sense, longer days, less sleep time at night.
When they sleep, you can move them around in the coop
and they never completely awaken.
They aren't floppy, they seem to be aware, just stupefied.
They are also creatures of habit.
Whatever spot one of them occupies,
she will always go to that spot.
Ours girls never out of the coop at night.
They always sleep inside with the door closed.
 
Another observation.....
Dominance.
The dominant hen eats first, in the same place each time.
Our dominant hen is Pepper.
With a close second of Lucy.
Although they all vie for attention,
it's always Pepper who comes first when called.
I swear she even knows her name!
 
****************************
 
We watched Home Alone last night and this
was my question too.
 
And....
in closing,
I'd like to ask for just one thing from Santa,
 
Saints in the Superbowl!
 
 
Merry Christmas
to all
and to all a good
night!
 

No comments: