Friday, March 29, 2019

March 28th

My initial prediction that March was turning out to be
a terrible month, was correct.
My beautiful Golden Retriever, Leia is gone.
She had a relapse and her already frail
body couldn't take anymore.
She passed into that Heaven for dogs peacefully
with family petting her and telling her how much she was loved.
 
 
How do I write this eulogy for a pet?
Well, I start by telling you that she was more than a pet.
She was a family member.
So, the grief we all share is raw.
The thing is, she was the type of dog that comes along
once in a lifetime.
She had no thought except to please us.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if people were the same?
I used to find myself talking to her as if she understood,
and I sincerely think she did on some level.
Dogs are empathetic to humans.
Its just a shame that dogs don't live as long as we do.
So, we go through this incredible grief time and time again.
 
I thought that I was preparing myself for the inevitable,
but,
when that time came,
I wanted to stop time.
I wanted to hold and pet her once more,
I wanted her to play with her ball,
to run and be her silly self.
It was then that I realized that it was time.
She was tired.
She couldn't do it anymore.
So,
I told her it was ok.
We'd be fine,
she didn't have to worry about us anymore.
and,
someday,
somehow, I'd see her again.
So,
As Pope Francis said
"Eternal life will be a shared experience of
awe, in which each creature, resplendently
transfigured, will take its rightful place."
So,
Wait for me girl.......
 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This the most heautiful expression of love & grief in the circle of life I have ever read. I am glad U R resting Leia. Thank U for sharing your life & love with such a beautiful family.