Thursday, April 18, 2019

April 18th

Chilling on the patio with a fine feathered friend,
namely, Pepper.
She and her sisters love to be near her humans.
 
*********************
 
It is the 18th of April.....
Reminds me of the poem by Longfellow,
"The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere".
I had to memorize it in high school.
I still can remember most of it.
 
Seems that Longfellow took some artistic license when writing it.
It was written almost 100 years after the fact.
The actual parts are:
1)Patriots did ride to warn the towns.
2) Two lanterns were hung in the Old North Church.
3)Paul Revere ordered the lanterns lit.
What is wrong, is that Revere wasn't alone.
There were several riders, probably up to 40.
They still considered themselves British subjects,
so they didn't yell "The British are coming!"
They probably didn't even yell at all.
They wouldn't have wanted to give themselves away.
They went door to door to give the warning.
They most likely said,
"The Regulars are coming!"
because that's what the army was called.
The British were there to arrest John Hancock
and Sam Adams, who had already bugged out to
Lexington.
Revere and a few of the Patriots did get arrested.
He told the British that they "were all dead men!"
He said that so they wouldn't approach Lexington
because the Patriots would be ready for them.
So, as you can guess,
 they ignored Revere and during the trek toward
Lexington, they hear several shots ring out.
The few British guards freak out,
thinking there are way more Patriots out there,
 retreat and release
our hero Paul and friends.
So, back to Longfellow.....
His iconic poem reads better than the actual events.
He climbed the tower of the Old North Church
on April 5th 1860,
and was inspired to write the poem.
I love history!!
 ***********************************
 
Petunias.
 
English Ivy
(and a curious Nugget looking on)
 
a rescue Hosta.
It was just a leaf last week,
now it looks great.
 

Gardenias are blooming like crazy!
The scent is wonderful.
 
Summer squash blossoms.
They are edible but I'd rather the veggie.
 

Cabbage
 

Pepper,
 helping me weed around the Muscadine
Grapes.
 

Our wind chimes.
 
Since I couldn't get much done with
the girls underfoot,
So,
I gave them a dried worm treat.
That lasted as long as the worms did.
They have short attention spans.
 
********************
 
The burning of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
was such a heart wrenching thing to watch.
I've never been to Paris, but I have always wanted to.
Seeing the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame would have
been highest on my list to see.
 The damage to that 800+ year old building has affected
the entire world.
 
Years ago I was intrigued by the gargoyles on the Cathedral.
That encouraged me to make my small collection.
I've put them in the highest point in my house.
Here's my homage to them.
 

 
*******************************
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just remembering........
 

No comments: