Monday, April 20, 2020

March 51st ( AKA April 20th)

Today is Patriots' Day.
No,
 I didn't realize this either,
but it's a nice reason to display our flags.
It was celebrated as the official start
of the first battle of the
Revolutionary War
that was fought in a place called
Menotomy, Massachusetts.
It is now called Arlington, Mass.
5,100 Militia arrived in this town to take it
back from the British.
Unskilled in warfare,
they lined up in positions alongside
the road that the British troops
took on their way to Boston.
They hid in barns, houses, fields and behind 
stone walls.
They didn't make much of a difference
in that skirmish because the British army was
an efficiently trained fighting
machine, who was particularly
adept at close quarter bayonet skills.
There were some casualties,
eleven to be exact, and all
were Militia, that were centered
inside a single house.
Undeterred, the Militia would
take up arms again,
and we all know the outcome of that.
So thanks for their patriotism.
Seems fitting to our situation now.
Thanks to all who put their lives on the
line to make the world safer.
We owe you our lives.

********************

This clay container holds
gladiolus and mums.
The mums are full of buds,
but the glads aren't showing signs 
of blooming yet,

More "rescue" mums.


The gardenia bushes that flank
the front door are in full bloom!

And they smell magnificent.

The front door pot.
That's mums and an aloe.
(not a real frog...)


The backyard herb garden.
It has several kinds of mint, several kinds of thyme,
oregano, basil and some marigolds 
and a geranium.

Mint, stevia and oregano.


*************************************

The tomatoes are looking like
it'll be a good crop this year.
These are cherry tomatoes.

More cherry tomatoes.

Roma tomatoes

Yellow summer squash.
We've harvested about 7 so far.

Bell pepper

Artichokes


Can't be outside unless we have company.

***************************

Observations.....
I haven't left the house and its environs
in the better part of 2 months.
As a result, I clean, wash and cook every day.
Every day.
I change the bed linens weekly.
I've read approximately 15 books,
crocheted and worked on yarn crafts,
sketched in my sketch book,
gardened and played online
solitaire.
I've tried to keep myself from losing
brain cells, hopefully it's working.
The best thing is that I now cook 3 meals 
a day.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
I try to make them healthy
so we all won't be 300 pounds at the end of this.
And there have been a lot of hits, 
but a few misses too.
The other day,
I forgot the potatoes on the stove!
(I think I may have also summoned a demon.
Well at least there was steam and smoke
and I may or may not have smelled 
Brimstone...…)
But,
a couple weeks ago,
when I really didn't feel like cooking,
this happened.....
I was laying down in my bed when,
I began to think I was developing a brain tumor.
I smelled food.
Now, that isn't in itself weird, 
but
I've been the only one cooking, 
so,
yeah, it kinda was weird.
Well, the CEO, brought home some pizza.
It tasted magnificent!
I hadn't had one in a while.
What a nice gesture.

*************************

Be Kind
and
Stay Safe!

No comments: