Sunday, June 14, 2020

June 14th

In honor of Old Glory, we fly
our flags proudly.

Back in 1777, 
on June 14th,
the Second Continental Congress
adopted the stars and bars as
the flag of the US.
The colors were chosen to represent 
Valor (red), 
Liberty and Purity (white) 
and 
Justice and Loyalty (blue). 
There have been 27 official versions 
of our flag, with differing amounts of stars,
but the 13 bars remain constant.
They represent the 13 original colonies.
I will always stand and place my
hand over my heart in reverence
for all who came before me to 
allow me a place in this wonderful country.

*************************

I was listening to music yesterday while I
was doing housework.
My son pointed out that my tastes in music
are myopic and I should try
to listen to more eras and genres of music.
NO.
I don't think Rap is music,
I'm not really a fan of Country,
I like the late '60's thru the '80's.
I like some Classical and some
Show tunes.
Basically the stuff I grew up with is my 
choice of entertainment.
But....
He did get me to thinking of some
ridiculous song lyrics.
Like...
The Beatles song 
"Come Together".
I love the Beatles, but some of their
lyrics were just idiotic.
Were they high?
Probably.
Where in hell did they come up with this,
"Here come old flat top,
He come groovin' up slowly,
He got juju eyeballs,
He one holy rollers,
He got hair down to his knees,
Got to be a joker,
He just do what he please."
Wait, 
What???
And it only gets worse....
"He wear no shoeshine,
He got toe jam football,
He got monkey finger,
He shoot Cola Cola...."
Huh??
OK.....
Then the musical 
"Hair"
 has this gem....
It's from "Good Morning Starshine".
"Glibby Glop Gloopy,
Nibby Nabby Noopy,
La La La Lo Lo,
Sabby Sibby Sabba,
Nooby Abba Nabba,
Lee Lee Lo Lo"
I think that someone
was too high to come up with any
actual lyrics.
Seriously?
Then there's this one...
The Kingsmen came out with this in 1963.
It was the result of the lead singer, a teenager,
having a mouthful of braces and a microphone,
that was way too far from the singer to 
pick up his vocals.
"Louie, Louie".
No,
 I never knew what they were singing
besides what you can make out clearly,
'Louie, Louie, 
Oh No, 
We gotta go".
The rest of the song was completely unintelligible.
The FBI investigated it for lewd 
lyrics, that even after months of investigation,
they still couldn't make out the content.
So, 
teenagers all over the country flubbed their
way through the song.
The background music was so overpowering
that it really didn't matter what
words you sang to the melody.
You could add your grocery list as lyrics,
and it would have been just as catchy.
So,
I guess that in the context of 
good, great, mediocre
or garbage,
music is in the "ear"
of the beholder.
Rock on!

***************************

Update on the Monarch Butterfly.
He's gone!
He must have left while we weren't watching.
But,
the Monarch caterpillars love the Lantana
plants, 
so, it looks like we may have another cocoon soon.

🐛

*******************************


This is a 3 day harvest.
There's 5 different species of tomatoes.
🍅🍅🍅


Bell and Banana peppers


My focaccia bread. 
I used yellow pear cherry 
tomatoes, red cherry and "chocolate" cherry tomatoes.
I also added my herbal blend, 
parmesan cheese and olive oil.
It came out great!


One of our small sunflowers facing the 
morning sun.


Marigolds and geraniums
on the patio table.


The gardenias are still blooming.


Bringing the outside in.
English ivy, Yellow gladiolas
and gardenias on the bay window sill.

******************************

🐔
Pepper. 
She's on the hunt for bugs.


Ethel.
She's an opportunist.
She'll wait for Pepper to find something
and make an attempt to steal it.
No,
it usually doesn't work,
but she tries anyway….


Nugget.
I gave her a piece of tomato
and this is her
"What? Is that all?"
look.

I found this online...
Scientists in China have succeeded 
in altering chicken DNA
to express some attributes from their long
lost cousins the dinosaurs.
They were trying to stop the genetic
markers that grow into wings
to change and grow into "claws' 
similar to a raptor, so it will
more closely resemble a 
dinosaur.
Luckily,
that didn't happen, 
but those chickens did grow 
sharp teeth!
I hope they bite the scientists!!

********************


Pray for peace


1 comment:

Sue email Address said...

Focaccia is beautiful