Thursday, July 23, 2020

July 23rd

This is a sunflower from last year.
The one's we grew this year were small
but still cute. I really love sunflowers.
They scream summer to me.

Speaking of summer...
As you can see, it's 82 degrees,
about to rain but still feels like
91 degrees!
Yep, it's hot!
I was going out to weed the around the veggies,
but decided against that for now.
I almost said "fixin' to go out to weed".
😁
It reminded me of the uniquely southern
sayings that come second nature to me.
Like, "Bless your heart". 
That phrase can be complimentary 
or derogatory, depending on the situation,
but it's always polite.
Then there's "used to could" - meaning 
once upon a time I was able to...
How about when you can't remember the 
name for something and call it a 
"dookickey", "thingamajig" or "Whatchamacallit"
Or, when you are speaking to someone
who knows "diddly squat"?
Here are a few my Mom used often.
This one was reserved for
 when we tried to cut something.
"Don't use the good scissors!"
Then with impending bad weather, "It's 
blowing up a storm out there!".
And if you weren't listening, she'd say 
"I'll beat knots on your head!",
but she never followed through.
"Ya'll are a day late and a dollar short"
when we didn't know something
that we clearly should have.
And 
my personal favorites....
"If you're going out, put on clean underwear."
"Make sure you have car fare"
(This was in case we had to catch a bus)
 but I never questioned it.
because that's what Southern Mama's said.

******************************************

Genovese Basil with its purple flowers

Globe Basil with white flowers

Thai Basil with very dark purple flowers

All Basil plants taste mostly the same.
Basil tends to have a slight anise flavor
that compliments tomato sauces. 
The flowers have a more subtle flavor.
We dehydrate the leaves and the flowers
for our herbal blends.


Zucchini
No buds yet, but we're watching closely.


Cantaloupe


Watermelon


Gigantic Cucumbers
and
2 orange Bell Peppers.
The cukes will be eaten in salads
and the peppers will be cut up and 
added to onions and olive oil. Then
poured into an ice tray to freeze for 
use later. The olive oil never actually
freezes, it just gets firm. Then I toss a 
couple of cubes into whatever dish 
I'm cooking. 

*************************************


Scarlet Geraniums
These flowers are edible.
I sometimes eat them in a salad.


Chrysanthemums


Gardenias

**********************************
🐔
The CEO bought crickets as a treat
for the girls.



Hazel seems satisfied.


Lucy got her fill too.


Nugget and Pepper are still
scoping out potential
cricket escapees.


Ethel is already in the coop.
She's broody and only comes out
for food and water.
But, believe me, she'll never miss a treat!

*************************

🐦
This is a mark from a Mourning Dove
that crashed into the kitchen bay window.
you can see the head and wing.
He's fine, just a bit shook up, but
this has been happening more and more.
We've ordered a prism to hang in the window,
to reflect light.
A website said that it might work by scaring
the birds away.
We also found a dead sparrow on the patio
last week after I heard an unusually loud
crash into the window.
Hope this helps.

*****************************

💗

2 comments:

Melissa said...

❤️ You make me smile❤️

EarthMother said...

Thanks! I forgot a Southern Mom saying “It’s raining to beat the band!” Or “It’s raining cats and dogs”