Saturday, May 8, 2021

May 8th

Sadly our morning began with
one less hen.
Yesterday, our girl Pepper died.
We aren't sure of the cause, but she was
having a lot of trouble breathing when
we saw her.
The CEO picked her up and we examined
her for any trauma.
Outwardly, she was fine,
just couldn't breathe.
I checked for any obstruction, but none was there.
I noticed her heart was beating more slowly than usual.
It's weird that I noticed some distinctly
human actions when facing the reality of death.
She was found way away from the
other girls, near our fence, lying down.
It was almost as if she knew and went off to be alone.
Her wattle and comb were pale pink,
and her legs and feet were pale yellow.
Probably from lack of oxygen.
Her eyes kept closing with the effort to breathe.
Then, while the CEO held her,
she passed away.
It was easy, like she fell asleep.
I'm posting a few pictures of her that we love. 

She loved to be around people.
I guess she thought of us as part of her flock.

Always curious.


This is the last picture of all 5 together.


I know she was "only" a chicken.
To us she was a pet.
Whenever a loss like this occurs
you still grieve,
you still feel the loss.

I think the other girls miss her too.
When Sandy and Henny were killed 
by the racoon, the others milled
around and were in a general listless state for a while.

I can't really know how a chicken feels,
but I can attest to what I've observed.
I seemed that when they went into the coop last night,
they clucked and coo'd like they were
calling out to Pepper to come home.
But,
this morning when I let them out of the coop,
they resumed foraging as usual.
Maybe that's a life lesson...
It's not about forgetting,
it's about embracing the future.
Life is continually evolving and changing
and somehow our little flock
takes everything in stride.
So,
as a tribute to Pepper,
I'll share some special treats with the girls
and "toast' her memory.
Seems like the right thing to do
and,
I don't think she'd have wanted it any other way




 

2 comments:

Sue said...

Don’t know if this will post, but I’m sorry for you and Dave. I know how much you love your chickens. Hugs to both of you. ♥️

EarthMother said...

Thanks, anytime you lose a pet it’s hard.