Thursday, July 8, 2021

July 8th

 

Here we are, feeling the heat and the
endless days of rain.
Our crops aren't doing so well.
The constant wetness is taking its toll.
No more tomatoes.
The cucumber vine
seems to have blossom end rot,
That means the plant blooms and then
the flowers fall off.
Same thing is happening to the summer squash.
We think it's the weather.

So,
the CEO sprinkled some diatomaceous earth
over the plants.

What is that, you ask?
Lemme 'splain....

Well, it's literally fossilized remains of
tiny aquatic organisms called diatoms,
that died and accumulated in sediment.
These microscopic skeletons are
made of something called silica.
This substance is used in lots of products
ranging from "food safe" items to
non-pesticide pest control.
We use the food safe kind.
We either sprinkle it on the plants or
apply it wet with a small amount of Dawn
to make it adhere to the plants.

What happens is that it desiccates the insect,
meaning the microscopic sharp pieces
are eaten by the bug,
then it dehydrates and dies.
It can be an irritant to humans too if 
it is blown around.
Yes, we use caution.
Masks and safety glasses.
Only catch is,
you have to reapply if the weather is
particularly rainy.

That is an Assassin Bug on our Summer Squash.
Here's hoping our non-pesticide
solutions work.

***********************************


This is a Japanese Eggplant flower


Japanese Eggplant
This one is about 6 inches long.
We harvested the first one last week
and that one was about 8 inches.
It was very tasty!
I baked it, sliced and breaded,
with some bell pepper and onion.
Mmmmm, good.


Bell Pepper.


Nosy Miss Nugget.


The Herb garden needs a haircut.
With all the rain,
I haven't been out to cut it back.
Hopefully I'll get a chance today.


Ethel, Lucy and Nugget hanging out by the shed.



Hazel following me around the yard.


Nugget grabbing a bite
of cabbage.
We hang it on a string to 
make it a tad more interesting
for the girls.


Lantana.



Gardenia.



This little guy had better stay
up high on that window.
If the girls see him,
it'll be 
Katy Bar The Door!
They love to eat lizards!




At the front door are 2 large ceramic pots.
We planted Caladiums
and purple Sweet Potato vine.



Under the Magnolia tree,
we have another large pot with
Caladiums. and a few others.


This is called
"Silver Gumdrop",
and is a Heuchera.
Good partial shade plant.


This is called
"Bloodleaf".
It's a Iresine plant.
Also good in partial shade.


I'm trying to root them for more plants.
The Bloodleaf has a few roots already.



Nothing yet for the Silver Gumdrop.



**************************************


Well, 
on my last visit to the doctor
and after a bone scan,
I found out that I have low normal
results for osteoporosis.
So, now I have to take an extra supplement of
Vitamin D and Calcium.
Since I fell in the yard last month,
(didn't get hurt, just a couple bruises)
and my balance is like a drunken sailor,
I'm trying to be extra careful in the
wet slippery grass.
I don't wanna go down like a fat 
kid on a see saw and break a hip!
I should also be exercising.
Ha!
I'm not motivated.
Any amount of extra steps to me,
is like scaling the north face of
Half Dome in Yosemite!
But,
I told my doctor, with as much
gravitas as I could muster, that 
"yes, I will certainly exercise more."
Seriously,
I knew his BS detection meter was 
edging into the red zone,
but he said that was great.
So, 
to keep my half-assed promise to
the medical gods,
I'm determined to try to exercise.
(Saw that? I said "try")
So I'm looking into online classes.
That way I don't have to leave the comforts 
of my air conditioned den.
After all,
who likes to sweat?

*******************************

Winnie The Pooh quote.......


💚




















4 comments:

Melissa said...

Put your mask on and get to the gym or the mall and walk

EarthMother said...

I now that I need to do it and the Gym is free, but, sadly, still no motivation.

EarthMother said...

The Silver Gumdrop Heuchera doesn’t propagate by cutting a leaf, they produce rhizomes and need to be separated every other year or so. I should have looked that up before cutting leaves off. Oh, well….

EarthMother said...
This comment has been removed by the author.