Tuesday, June 7, 2022

June 7th

I know I'm a day late, but
I wanted to post this Peanuts
cartoon that the late Charles Schulz
drew as a remembrance of D-Day.
He entitled it,
"To Remember".
It began 78 years ago and there are
very few who are still alive
to attest to a first-hand account
of the indescribable horror
of that fateful day.
It has been immortalized in
the movie The Longest Day,
and several books on the subject.
Yes, I've seen the movie, but
what strikes me most is the 
unthinkable acts of valor
in the face of overwhelming odds,
that these men/boys encountered.
When I see this picture,
it makes me tear up.
I'm sure they went into that fray
with loved ones' pictures, medals,
and other religious pieces
significant to each of them,
and as they died,
 they cried for their Mama.
So,
take a pause for a moment
and say a silent prayer
for those who never 
made it back home.
We'll never know them,
but we owe our lives to them.


************************

At our house, we display
our flags from May thru the end of July.
It's for Memorial Day, Flag Day and the
Fourth of July.


A potted Cyclamen and a Mum.


Yellow Lantana,
Purple Sweet Potato vine
and Sedum.


A close up of the Sweet Potato Vine,
Sedum and Lantana.


I had a little green visitor.
I think he tried to sell me
insurance!


Yellow Gladiola's


A wasp taking advantage of the nectar.


A Dragon Fly hunting aphids.


Red Iresine and a variegated Caladium. 


********************************


The harvest.


Cherry Tomatoes


More Cherry Tomatoes.
We eat them like candy!


Blue Cherry Tomatoes


Blueberries


Jalapenos


Japanese Eggplant


Watermelon


Cucumber
(Pickle Plant)


Cucuzza


Potatoes

***************************


As usual,
Hazel,
my shadow, is following
me all around the
yard.


Lucy is chillin'
in the shade.

Ethel is doing her thing
in the coop.
She's broody, but not laying
any eggs.
She comes out in the morning
 and afternoon to eat some feed
or forage,
then back into the coop she goes.

Minew is off exploring.
I called to her
and heard her meow,
but she didn't come to me.
She likes a late afternoon snack,
so that's when she'll come
looking us up.

******************************



🕮
I have a summer goal.
It's to read some classics
that I've either never read,
or ones that I loved.
My first is 
Ivanhoe
by Sir Walter Scott.
I read it in my early teens,
and I'd like to read it again.
I think almost 60 years
is long enough in between.
Don't you?
Yep,
that's me!

********************
💚💙









 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

❤️❤️❤️