Tuesday, July 12, 2022

July 12th

No,
that's not my produce,
although I wish it were.
It's kind of what I think of as a lost art.
Along with soap and candle making,
growing your own food,
raising livestock for food or eggs,
Knitting, crocheting,
mending and sewing.

Yes,
these are time consuming and its' 
way easier to buy these things,
but the simple joy of making
it yourself, can't be beat!

The CEO and I have been tending
our small backyard farm,
 for a few years now.
We are always learning
and improving our skill sets.
("We do have a particular
set of skills, skills we have
acquired over a long career....")
😆
It's a hobby that gives back
in so many ways other than
putting actual food on our table,
and that's a big plus.

*******************


Yesterday's harvest.



Jalapeno's



Refrigerator Hot Pepper sauce
I made it with Jalapenos, Lime,
Onions, and strawberries with a little
sugar and balsamic vinegar.
I was told (by my son) 
that its' very good.
I don't eat hot, peppery things
but since I got his 
thumbs up, I'm happy.
👍



Watermelons



A baby watermelon!


The cucuzza vine.
That's Lucy patrolling for bugs,
with Ethel in the background
making her way to the compost heap.
(Compost heap is behind the lattice)
Go, girl!



Cucumber flowers


Bell Pepper flower


The CEO gets free grass from
Jefferson Feed.
Yes,
 it looks dead, but most of it
will grow back.
They can't sell brown grass so they
tell him to dumpster dive for 
whatever he wants. 
A lot of times he's found other 
(almost dead)
plants and veggies,
that he coaxes back to life.

He just places the grass on top of the lawn
and lets it do its' thing.
St. Augustine grass is so
durable that even South Louisiana
summer heat usually won't kill all of it.


The backyard fauna...
Ethel
(she's still laying eggs,
about 1 every 2 to 3 days)



Lucy
She's stopped laying.
She just likes to walk around
and look cute.
😀



Minew.
Doing typical cat stuff...
laying in the sun and occasionally
getting up,
Ha!
😺


*******************************

Early this morning, in my
window over the sink
that faces east, I checked on 
my rooting plants.
There's Purple Sweet Potato Vine
and lavender.
The Sweet potato vine roots easily,
but the Lavender takes longer
because it has a woody stem.
I just change the water every day 
till I see roots starting,
then I plant them in soil.



Lavender
(no roots yet)



Sweet Potato Vine
(a LOT of roots!)


On the bay window sill,
More Sweet Potato Vine
and
Variegated Kalanchoe
with
Succulents


Sweet Potato Vine



Some of my birthday flowers,
are still going strong.


Orange throated Gladiolus


The Glad broke off,
so we put it in with the
birthday flowers
and some Red Heart Iresine.
The Iresine will root in water
and I can re-plant it later.



Red Heart Iresine
and Caladiums.


Milkweed Leaf Beetles in love
💗



Bumble bee on a mint flower.



There's an overpopulation situation
in the Aloe Vera pot!
My plans are to thin them out,
but it has been soooo
HOT!
I'm hoping to get to it soon.



White and Yellow Lantana



Vinca


**************************

I just thought of other
"lost skills"
1) driving a standard
2) writing in cursive
3) dialing a rotary phone
4) telling time on an analog clock
5) giving change back when
the register isn't computerized
to TELL them how much.
and...
this may be the most important...
THINK CRITICALLY.
But, then again,
no brains,
no headaches!
Ha!
🤣


And...
I'm old,
So old, that if I look
closely,
my Social Security number
may only be in triple digits.






💚💙

 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

❤️Sweet Potato Vine is pretty