Saturday, April 7, 2018

April 7th

I'm sitting at the kitchen table, drinking my coffee and watching the rain.
The hens are huddled under the cover of the patio to escape the drops.
I was going to sit outside but
the dog dislikes any form of "wet",
and she's laying at my feet.
Didn't want to disturb her.
Even the sparrows are in hiding.
I love watching rain.....

I was thinking of how I'd be, if I lived elsewhere.
Hard to say.
I feel so entrenched here.
Roots, ya know.
But,
It's not only my home and family, it's the south Louisiana vibe.
and by "vibe",
I don't mean to say that I frequent live music or attend festivals...
I don't,
although,
we certainly do have a plethora of those,
I mean, more of the slow pace and friendliness of the people.
Its an easy life,
a lazy kind of laid back life,
in the environs of
The Big Easy.
 

When I was young,
 I used to want to live in the French Quarter,
either in the Pontalba Apartments or a home on Esplanade Avenue.
The old historic Spanish and French beauty of it fascinated me.
Still does.
My mother was brought up on Royal Street,
and lived near the French Quarter for many years.
Then, there's the quiet elegance
and
beautiful architecture of St Charles Avenue,
the streetcars,
Funky Magazine Street,
Audubon and City Park,
the seawall at Lakeshore Drive,
So many places that remind me of home.
and....
Not to be forgotten, are the quirky areas in Kenner too.
But years ago it was easier to get around,
easier to walk and see the sights,
Yes, I was younger,
but
crime was never in the forefront of my mind.
There was little to no fear of wandering around to take in the living, breathing,
entropy that is this fascinating city.
You felt as though you just stepped back in time.
Sure,
Bourbon St will always be a kind of train wreck from which you can't seem to avert your eyes,
and typically, natives don't frequent that area
but...
it's the lesser traveled streets that have my heart.
The old antique and vintage clothing shops that beg you to come in and browse.
Then peeking in to look at secret courtyards that feel almost voyeuristic.
You feel as though you've been an uninvited guest to their hidden beauty.
Smelling something that literally makes your mouth water
and,
conversely,
can also make your eyes water!
But then,
there are the underlying smells of jasmine and magnolia on a warm night
that feel like they envelope your skin in their light scents.
 
Then, strolling the quiet alleys of the cemeteries,
is a history lesson in itself.
The long dead with their ornate graves
and
the newly buried with their decaying wreaths of sympathy,
make the small narrow alleys a kind of
hushed library of sorts.
The decayed beauty is usually guarded by sad, stoic angels,
perpetually keeping watch.
Or,
being in awe of an oak tree whose birth was before the beginning of this republic!
Oh,
and the smell of the Spanish Moss that drapes over the ancient limbs like
a shawl on an old aristocratic lady.
The Flying Horses in the park, intricately carved, are truly a work of art!
The low lying, lazy movement of Bayou St John,
lined with Louisiana irises in the spring,
are home to ducks and assorted birds,
as well as a few 'gators!
 

and,
If you work up an appetite,
there's so many types of food to choose from.
Although, to be fair,
in the last several years,
the city and surrounding areas have begun to infuse
other cuisines,
that's always a good thing,
but.....
I prefer my "go to" standby's.
I prefer my coffee, café au lait style,
I prefer my "sandwiches" to be a Po Boy.
Oh,
and make it dressed please!
I prefer my rivers to be wide and muddy
 
but....
there are a few things I can do without.
Like this...
Although I've read it would live through an Armageddon,
I annihilate them under my shoes whenever I see them!
That pleasing "crunch" tells me that I'm successful in eliminating
another one!
I'll kill them, gladly.
No remorse.
Nature's mistake, no redeeming qualities.
Yay!
And, when Hollywood tries to have "non-native" people do a New Orleans or Cajun accent.
Just say NO!
 
Oh, and these pesky things....
(please take note of the 4th to last hurricane name) 🌀
Surely, to God,
 we don't want them to get that far into the 2018 cycle!!!
 
There's a line in
Steel Magnolias
that says.....
"That which doesn't kill you makes you strong."
That certainly says a lot about the people who
call this little slice of the world,
home.
--------------------------
I'm starting to see the sun peeking out of a cloud.
The hens are walking around the yard to see what kind of bugs
are out since the rain.
Looks like they've found a small harvest.
As long as the little cluckers keep away from the produce!
 
----------------------------------------
I found a few funnies on Pinterest.
Thought I'd share.
(the paintings are of some royalty in Europe, long since dead)

Do these pants make me look fat?
 
Noooooo, how about my shirt?
 
Seriously, Edward!
Its fashion!
Look it up!
 
 
 
And remember.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: