Saturday, March 31, 2018

March 31st (Holy Saturday)


Today is Saturday,
Tomorrow is Easter,
Also,
April Fools Day.
I looked up the origins of Easter.
Its really an obscure holiday,
the beginnings of which are possibly pagan.
Seems there was a Saxon goddess of the east called
Eostre.
She was a symbol of fertility and her festival was the spring equinox.
But,
there isn't any real hard evidence of this except
from the writings of an 8th century monk.
He translated the name Eostre, to the Latin, Paschal
thereby making it a  
Secular holiday corresponding to
the crucifixion and resurrection.
 The bunny and eggs are from Germany.
They called him the Easter Hare.
He brought colored eggs to good children.
Nope......
I prefer Easter Bunny!
Or,
Maybe an Easter Hen should bring the brightly colored eggs?
Rabbits don't lay eggs!
C'mon.
 
Yesterday was Good Friday.
I found this beautiful picture.
It really is moving.
 

The first Louisiana Iris.
Beautiful.
 
I'm in a pun obsession now.
I love them!
 
Here's a good one.....
There was a group of Friars who were behind on loan payments for church repairs,
so they opened a small florist shop to raise the money.
Soon everyone from far and wide came to buy their flowers.
But,
a rival florist in the village wanted them shut down.
He tried to get them to close up shop to no avail.
So,
he hired a henchman called Hugh to "persuade" the monks.
Hugh beat them up and trashed the store.
The monks were so terrified that they closed down the florist shop immediately.
Proving........
 
(wait for it....)
 
that only Hugh can prevent florist friars!
 
(groan)
 
Here's another......
 
 
and in the spirit of the season....
 
and this one......
though not a pun,
is too funny.
I can some of my harvest and I was looking for a new recipe.
That's when I found this picture.
but,
it looked a lot like this to me.......
a doppelganger?
L.O.L.!
 
 
This is a beautiful Silicon Valley California sunset.
The picture is taken from one of the parking lots at Google.
Beautiful!
 
 
This is Alum Rock Park
in San José, California.
(I'm assuming that my son, who sent the pictures, knows the way)
(Hadda get that Dionne Warwick reference in)
The park is in a valley of the Diablo Mountain range.
 
 
Chicken Segue....................
 
I was going to dye eggs for Easter,
but,
I realized that our girls already lay colored eggs.
So, I think I'll just hard boil some.
We've collected quite a few eggs in the past week.
 
 
Everything is quiet in the coop.
Its 7:30
When it gets dusk, they file in and settle down for the night.
They'll grab a site on the roosting bar
 or
squish up closely together in a laying box.
Then we go out and close the coop door.
They make a few "cooing" noises at night sometimes,
but not much else.
At dawn they get vocal.
No cockadoodling,
but they make it known they want out!
We are early risers anyway,
so we let them out and we give them fresh water and feed.
Then its time for Leia's insulin shot and her arthritis meds.
Sometimes feels like that movie...
"I Bought A Zoo"
 
 
"and on the fifth day,
God created fish and birds,
(and chickens),
and then
on the sixth day
He created animals (dogs).
And then God said "Wow, I have literally
outdone myself!
Oh, wait!
I'll create someone to love them and take care of them,
and then I'll rest!"
Book of Genesis
according to me
😁
 
 
 
 
Peace out!
 
 

2 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Outstanding Easter Sermon