Sunday, May 13, 2018

May 13th Mother's Day

This is my heartfelt wish
for all Mothers, 
and those no longer with us.

As for myself,
I began this day as any other.
Got up early, gave the dog her morning medicines,
let the hens out and
put more feed in their container,
checked their water,
made toast and coffee for the CEO and myself.....
In other words,
a typical morning.
and this makes me happy.
Now,
I'm on a second cup of coffee before I
go out into the garden.
 But before that,
I thought I'd devote this entry to Moms.
I saw that on Pinterest and thought it appropriate.
It surely was for me!
Having children and step children
is the greatest accomplishment of my life.
Now, at this stage,
I get the joys of Grandparenting.
With five kids,
We've been blessed with five extraordinary
Grandkids.
They are such a source of pride.
 
Although, with my Mom,
I had a wonderful and strong role model,
I always hoped that I could have improved on her teachings,
like passing on a few "Golden Rule" type things....
 
Stop and smell the roses,
Think before you act,
Say "please, thank you, yes ma'am, no sir"
Admit your mistakes,
Be kind to everyone, animals too,
Ok to get mad, just don't get even,
Tell people how much you love them,
Say"I'm sorry" and mean it,
Share,
Always hugs,
Be tactful,
Make new friends,
Brush your teeth,
Be grateful,
Hydrate!
 
Being born and raised in the south, and, more importantly,
in the New Orleans area,
I have some uniquely different "Mom" ideas.
(as do most of us in this area)
 
Like this.....
What?
Really?
 
Another one that I didn't get as a young kid.
It just seemed weird.
 
But this was always a constant in our house.
Pickle meat, not sausage.
I love it!
It was usually my Grandma who made the beans and rice.
On Tuesday,
That's the day my uncle, her son, would visit.
 
Then my Mom would make these.....
or sometimes my aunt, but either way,
I loved it!!
 
We'd shop for groceries at Schwegmanns.
That place literally had everything!
I don't know how she spread the small amount of money
that came in each month,
but I never felt poor.
These bags held groceries, newspapers,
trick or treat candies,
and even became costumes
and book covers.
Versatile.
One of my Mom's mottos was
"Make it do or do without",
and, as a child of the Depression,
by God, she did!
 
We had a small veggie garden in the spring and summer.
My Mom loved Creole tomatoes.
She taught us the love of a simple tomato, mayo
on French bread sandwich.
 
As soon as our tomatoes ripen
I do exactly the same....
 
 
 
She loved Nectar soda.
A concoction of red drink and vanilla ice cream.
Red Drink, you say?
this seemingly innocuous drink was
literally craved by us kids!
It was never referred to as
Red Cream Soda.
It simply went by....
Red Drink.
 
Another wonderfully local taste treat that
my Mom loved was
McKenzie's Buttermilk Drops.
These little mouth watering treats were often
on the table at our house.
 
 
Now, this was a dish my Grandma cooked
that I absolutely loved,
(although my sister didn't.)
Yep,
smothered liver and onions with grits.
Another uniquely New Orleans dish.
I still get it sometimes at Piccadilly Cafeteria.
I don't go there for the cuisine,
I go because it reminds me of my Mom.
 
I miss her every day.
There's so much she taught me,
so much that shaped my life,
that I'd like one more day.
To show her what I've become,
and maybe,
Just to be a kid,
a daughter......
 
So, now,
I'm a wife, mother and a grandmother.
I hope I can pass on some of the wonderful things I learned from
my Mom and Grandma,
even if they don't
wanna learn!
😜
 
********************************************
 

some of the cute little plants
that greet me at the front
door every day.


That chartreuse green is so pretty.
 
***************************************
Sandy, watching me walk around.
The girls make me laugh
at their silliness
sometimes.
 
 
*****************************
Some funny stuff...



 
 
and lastly.....
Only in Louisiana
Ya think they mean the 16th century
English Monarchy?
Yeah,
sadly,
Me neither.
 
 
 
 
 
Remember.......
Be nice,
Or
Leave.