Wednesday, August 22, 2018

August 22nd

Its been almost a month since I've posted anything.
There wasn't much going on.
Its been too hot.
Not compatible with life, kinda hot!


This is partially the reason why.
Its waaaay too hot!
Too hot to do anything.
When the weather app on my phone says, the temp is 94 degrees,
and the "feels like" area says, 112 degrees,
then you avoid all activities in this oppressive heat!
August gets a bad rap in the deep south.
It's hot as hell and it's usually the beginning of Gulf coast hurricanes.
Thankfully, so far this year, we've dodged the proverbial bullet.
I fervently hope our luck holds out.
 
 
and....
I might spontaneously combust!
I like cool weather.
I don't even mind cold weather.
I simply hate it when it's this hot and muggy.
Feels like the seventh circle of Hell!
 
 
 
Then......
We've been subjected to almost daily deluges.
Not the, "Summer rain that taps at my window",
kinda rain.
The, "Hey, Noah! You got a few extra seats on that big ass boat?",
kinda rain.
Last night, I was lying in bed reading when
a loud clap of thunder scared the dog and I.
She habitually shakes and tries to glue herself to her humans
during a thunder storm.
It wasn't a sprinkle, it continued heavily for a while.
Yes, the rain cools us off.
Yes, the plants need the rain.
Yes, I love it when it rains,
but....
I just want the summer to be GONE!
I want that "Goldilocks" weather,
You know,
"Just Right!"
Bring on Fall!
 
***************************
Our small farm has withered and mostly died in the heat.
The herbs are still holding out,
but a few of them are withering too,
We water them faithfully, but the relentless heat
beats them down.
During the late summer, they get "leggy",
kind of overgrown,
so, I cut them back.
My "cut back" is  really my herb harvest.
I've made mint tea quite a bit and air
dried the basil, oregano, rosemary, sage
and thyme for my herbal blends.
The lettuce, tomatoes, mirlitons, bell peppers
and squash haven't made it,
too much heat and rain.
They succumbed, gave up the ghost, died.
We composted their remains.
R.I.P.
my little veggies, we shall miss you!
As soon as it gets a bit cooler, we'll start the fall crop.
 
**********************
 The hens are fairing better in the heat than I expected.
There are several cooler spots around the yard, in the shade,
 where they sit and cluck with their sisters.
The rain has brought out more bugs than normal,
so they become our "bug zappers".
Another thing I hate about this time of year - bugs!
The hens take refuge during a heavy rain, then
venture out to collect the bug spoils once the rain
becomes a drizzle or completely stops.
Everything on the wing or in the grass is fair game,
and to them, it really is like a game.
First come, first served as they say.
They bump each other out of the way to get those prized morsels,
or steal it from someone else's tightly clamped beak,
rending the unfortunate bug into several juicy pieces.
They recently had a race to see which girl would get a
dragonfly.
(I was secretly hoping the dragonfly would get away)
The witless bug was low flying,
daring fate.
Flitting from one blade of grass to another,
as if he were not on the menu.
Then the eagle eyes of Lucy spotted him.
She didn't break out into a run, she stalked him.
Who knew chickens stalk their prey?
Then the other girls caught wind of the action going down.
The race was on!
Lucy led by a beak, with Hazel nosing in.
Then Sandy, in the back, passed Ethel,
and was closing in on the lead.
But, just then, Lucy realizing she was about to
lose the race, leaped up with a herculean effort and
opened beak to snare her prize,
and
 the dragonfly flitted up into the tree.
Oh, what a race!
But......
Lucy didn't take defeat lightly.
She clucked for several seconds at the victorious dragonfly.
I guess she was saying,
I'll get you next time!
Sleep lightly my friend!
A small wonder here is, since we've had the girls,
I haven't seen a cockroach.
These girls have replaced Orkin!
 
***************
I found a simple recipe on Pinterest recently.
Tried it.
It came out wonderfully.
Here are the ingredients:
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of parmesan reggiano cheese
(I buy already shredded cheese in a bag)
1 egg
A dash of garlic.
(I used grated garlic in a jar)
Mix together,
Spray a foil lined cookie sheet with Pam
then...
Spread out in a circle, like a pizza.
Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Let cool for a few minutes and cut with a pizza cutter.
I served it with vermicelli and meatballs.
Everybody loved it!
(I ate mine with my salad.
Its gluten free!)
Yay!
 
****************************
 

parting the yellow sea?
 
********************
Remember.....
Time passes so quickly.
Don't wait to use the good china and crystal,
Go on that trip to the places you've always wanted to see,
Read those books you've been meaning to read,
Hug your loved ones,
Eat that yummy chocolate,
Take a chance,
Time is precious.
It'll be gone before we know it.
After all,
Nobody gets outta this life alive!
 
***************
 
The Velveteen Rabbit:
"Generally, by the time you are Real,
most of your hair has been loved off,
and your eyes drop out
and you get loose in your joints
and very shabby.
But these things don't matter at all,
because once you are Real,
you can't be ugly,
except to people who don't understand."
By Margery Williams
 
(one of my favorite children books)
 
 
Hugs!
 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I might need Lucy on the side of my house and occasionally inside for roaches and salamanders