Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 31st

Today is the last day of July.
153 days till 2018 is no more.
Has it flown?
Definitely, it certainly has.
There's a line in the song "Do You Know The Way To San José",
it says ".... Weeks turn into years. How quick they pass."
Sums it up for me.
After all, "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"
To kids it drags, unless it is summer time.
Then they complain that the time went way too fast!
To us older folks, it always seems to go lightening fast all the time.
Although, time as a concept is something hard to describe.
Especially if it refers to sometime in the distant past.
But, would I like to time travel?
You bet!
I'd go back to times in my life where the real possibility of changing an outcome could work.
I'd go back and try to convince my Dad to take better care of himself,
so I could've known him longer.
I read a recent book by Stephen King, it was a time travel book,
about changing the outcome of the Kennedy assassination.
It's called 11-22-63.
I highly recommend reading it.
But, as we know, time can't be altered,
and
 
********************************************************************
As a retired person, there are times that I yearn for that old camaraderie
of the teamwork with the other nurses on my unit.
It was, at best, a wonderful place with exceptionally talented nurses,
and, at worst, a drudge to place one foot in front of the other.
Sadly, the drudgery finally won out.
The newer computer driven charting took us away from the bedside.
The unrealistic expectations by some patients and family members.
Like, wanting service that's on par with a 7 star resort,
when the others are either in pain, hungry, sleep deprived or confused.
But, all in all, my years as a hospital nurse were, by far the most rewarding.
There's a saying, "Once a nurse, always a nurse".
That is so true.
No matter where you go or what you do, you'll never get out of nursing.
Its like the Mafia. You know too much!
This is unfortunately so true.
My stories of male stroke patients who can
no longer aim into the urinal
and consequently soak my shoes,
as I assist them to stand to pee,
Disimpacting a constipated patient,
Unclogging a feeding tube, only to wear the formula
complete with stomach contents the rest of the shift,
and the cleaning up of emesis after a patient chokes
on a pill, are legion.
I could go on and on........
All the while discussing the above patient issues
while snarfing down a less than 15 minute lunch.....
I found out quickly, that my work stories didn't
translate to acceptable family chatter at the dinner table.
Oh, well...
As they say,
Those days are over
But, I can reminisce about the funny and good times.
 
*********************************************
2 of our hens are still broody.
They've taken to pulling out their breast feathers
to "feather the nest".
This is Hen Solo, AKA Henny.
Poor baby. She thinks her eggs are really babies.
We remove them as soon as possible and
remove her from the coop often,
but as of yet, we haven't been able to break her of it.

This is Ethel.
Same problem, no change yet.
I've read that they sometimes copy cat
the other broody hens.
Hope this doesn't spread to the other girls.
 
*****************************************************
 
My grandson and I saw this recipe on Pinterest.
It's called a 3-2-1 mug cake.
The directions are simple.
A box mix of Angel Food cake
(it has dried egg whites in it that help it to rise)
and a box of any other cake flavor you like.


Then 1minute in the microwave,
and voilà!
A perfect mug cake.
My grandson can make this himself.
Neat!
 
and this......
When God was creating the world,
He crafted the dog.
God said "I've saved you for last".
"You will be a selfless companion to mankind"
"That is why I have named you from My name",
and with that
He touched the dog on its head.
The newly named animal wagged its tail.
God said,
"I am pleased"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Nothing like a good poop story.
If you put feathers in there nest would they stop pulling out their feathers?
I want to see the finished cake cup
When can we go out for ice cream,Sno-ball or something that agrees with your digestive system🤔