Thursday, February 28, 2019

February 28th

It's been rainy most of the month but,
a couple of mornings ago,
when the early morning sun
 was streaming in the kitchen window,
I noticed how the light enhanced the bowl of pears.
Since I got a new phone that takes better pictures,
I couldn't help but snap this shot.
 
Well,
now I'll address what bugs me about this month.
The way the name of it is spelled and pronounced.
It would roll off the tongue better if
spelled 'Feb-u-ary'.
But,
it's not an English word, it's Latin.
Back in Roman times, they decided to name
this month after the term
"februum",
It means purification.
They did these purification rituals on the full
moon in this month to prepare for spring,
the new beginning.
And because of that,
it used to be the last month in the year
so they could add another day if needed, for leap year.
But, in 450BC they decided to make it the second month
because......
Emperor Pompilius added January and February.
These 60 or so days were previously unnamed because,
Romans considered winter a monthless, desolate period.
Dontcha love learning something new!
 
*******************************

This is not a chicken egg.
It is an orphaned Mallard egg.
One of our neighbors found it in his backyard
and gave it to us.
The CEO and I thought the girls might jump
on the idea of hatching an egg.
They originally did sit on it for a bit,
taking turns, but eventually gave up on the idea.
Hens will usually "mother" other species,
especially if they have a brood of chicks,
which sadly, our girls never had.
But, our girls get "broody" at times
and that's what we were hoping for.
A Mallard egg typically hatches in 28 days,
a chicken egg is usually 21 days.
Sadly, we had to throw the egg away.
The embryo isn't viable if it isn't kept warm.
A mama duck lays her egg clutch in "installments".
A few at a time. Same as a hen.
She'll leave only for food and water then she's back to sit.
So, the fertilized egg could be left in the cold
for a day or so, but not this long.
This 'cross species' experiment failed.
Maybe next time.....
 
***************************

I don't know if this problem is only me or is universal,
but I can't open things!
Why can't manufacturers make easy open items???
Just this past week I couldn't get the top off a pickle jar,
a cap off a bottle of water and this carton opened.
I hadda jam a butter knife into it to get my
fingers in there and then I ripped the opening!
Now, I'm sporting a cut on my finger.
Annnnd, since I can't re-close the damned box,
the Goldfish are in a plastic container!
C'mon....
we put a man on the moon.
We put remote vehicles on Mars.
(well, they kinda broke down, but still!)
They make gadgets that help you open things,
and videos about hacks to assist with opening,
but wouldn't it be easier to just make
the cockadoodie items simpler to open??
I feel like a Neanderthal when I'm sweating
and grunting trying to twist a cap
or using my teeth to rip open the
"easy open", "reclosable" packages.
That's why we have opposable thumbs!
Then, I saw an octopus opening a jar.
Seriously?
How did that slippery animal do that?
He doesn't even have hands!
I have hands!
I have thumbs!
But,
they don't work like the 'Manufacturer' said.
 
**************************
And...
We are all so happy for my granddaughter
and grandniece!
Their basketball team won the championship in an
undefeated season.
It is their last year in grade school
and how fitting that
they'll go on to high school
with this wonderful memory.
Love them to pieces!
 


 
 

No comments: