Friday, January 10, 2020

January 10th 2020

Wow!
2020!
We are 10 days into this brand new shiny year and
I'm still wrapping my head around the fact
that this is the beginning of another decade.
As years come and go, (way too soon for me),
and life takes wonderful and sometimes horrible turns,
I've learned to not sweat the small stuff
and try to bend with the change.
I never make resolutions.
I always try to live by the Golden Rule.
and...
I always say "I love you"
because you never know if you'll get 
another chance...

*****************************


Our typical morning,
rain or shine is,
let the hens out of the coop.
They are usually awake and calling
in their scratchy little voices
to tell us they want out.
NOW!
They are always milling around the
door to the coop, waiting.
The HHIC (head hen in charge),
is always first outta the door.
That would be Pepper.
Then they file out, in pecking order,
with Ethel bringing up the rear.
We used to think that Ethel 
was picked on, and sometimes she is, but
she does get her pecks in!
She is a consummate thief.
She'll grab a morsel of something
and run like a Katrina evacuee
in a Best Buy store!
Nothing gets past her!
After they are out of the coop,
we make sure they have clean 
water and feed for the day and add
wood shavings to their coop boxes if needed.
We don't look for eggs yet, because the girls
never lay first thing in the morning.
They'll go back into the coop after they've 
patrolled the yard and munched on their
feed for a bit.
Kinda like us having to use the toilet
after our morning cup of coffee!


This is their production for 3 days.
Lucy's eggs are the dark brown and 
Hazel's are the blue ones.
The mottled dark tan one is from Ethel.
After they lay an egg,
they perform their "egg song".
That means they cluck in a sing-song
way to announce (with pride) the egg has landed!
They typically don't lay as often in the winter
because the days are shorter.
They lay more in the spring and summer.
Most of these eggs will become potato salad.
Thanks girls!

Hazel.
This was taken yesterday when I was
harvesting veggies.
They follow like puppies waiting 
to get attention.

Nugget
She still has the scar on her comb from
that unfortunate encounter with
getting her head stuck in the
chicken wire.
Lesson learned.


Bell Peppers.
All of these are sweet peppers not the chili
or hot peppers.
Beautiful!
I'll cut them up and put in small bags 
to freeze for later use.


Cauliflower

Broccolini

The CEO is preparing the veggie beds for 
spring planting.
He's just pulling weeds and dead plants.
Our compost, that's been "cooking"
over the end of the summer till now,
is almost ready to use.
The herbs need "haircuts" to keep
them from getting too leggy,
but that needs to wait till the
potential for a freeze is gone.
That's my job.
I also leave all the fallen leaves in the herb
pots to protect the roots from freezing.

***************************

I was searching Pinterest
and saw these cool pics from 
Pontchartrain Beach.
The top one is circa 1950

This one is of a limited poster edition.
(Looks like the clown has turned Zombie
and is eating humans!)

Here's my question....
Is it me or is that clown beyond creepy??
I always thought so.
It would have been an awesome set for 
a horror movie in the vein of "It".
I can remember looking away when we drove
up, so I wouldn't see it.
I also didn't like "Laff in the Dark"
or the "Wild Maus".
I wasn't a fan of the "Zephyr" or the "Ferris 
Wheel" either.
So, I can safely assume, I didn't really like
going there.
But.....
That's not totally true.
I did like it, just not those kinds of rides.
Oddly, there was a ride called "Tilt-A-Whirl"
that I really liked.
Centrifugal force pushed you into the
hapless person who happened to get
in last near the door of the car.
You spent approximately 1 minute
hanging onto the opposite side as the 
car gained momentum in a circle.
It reminded me of the footage I
had seen of the astronauts training
in a centrifuge.
It was exhilarating!
Amazing that it was a favorite of mine....
When getting off, there was a 
moment of seasickness
that quickly passed and then I yelled,
"Let's do that again!"

**************************

Today is my son's birthday.
37!
Yes time surely has flown.




No comments: