Wednesday, January 22, 2020

January 22nd

This is a memoriam
to some of the pets that passed this week.

 A good friend had her dog Marco pass.
He was cute as a button,
but his little body was worn out.

Then,
 my daughter's longtime companion,
Gunner passed away peacefully at her side.
He was a sweetie.

Then,
 my granddaughter's bunny,
Butters, had some serious health
issues that he couldn't rally from.
Whatever the species,
the grief is still the same.
Animals accept us for who we are,
flaws and all.
That is the very definition of 
unconditional love.
It's ok to deeply feel that loss,
that companionship,
and while their lives are short,
they still matter.

****************************

On a lighter note...
the chicken girls were doing their 
chicken girl thing.
Pepper was in the coop trying to lay an egg.
But,
as you can see,
I hadda keep aggravating her
by taking a picture
She's docile but doesn't wanna be disturbed.


This is Nugget.
She's having a dirt bath/nap.
No she's not dead.
They sometimes just lay in the dust,
quietly, not moving.
So, when I see that I make sure that
are still in the land of the living!
Typical of all birds, they fluff
their feathers in dust to keep pests away.
We examine the girls frequently for
any pests and we can proudly say
that they are pest free.
It's like a Day Spa
for chickens!

***********************


In the past few weeks the CEO
has been preparing the
veggie beds.
Tilling compost into the soil
and pulling dead plants out.
Yesterday he planted brussels sprouts,
broccoli and white and purple cauliflower.


It's mid January and the plants 
think its spring.
The weather has been unseasonably
warm and they are sprouting.

This is the maple in the back yard.
The buds are rusty-red in color.


This is the Mother of all Aloes'.
(that's one of her offspring in the background)
She's budding again!

This pic was taken this morning.
Her flowers are pale orange-yellow.

************************

The CEO's stepping stones
that he crafted with a mold, paint and
cement.
Beautiful!

*********************
DIY
A few homemade recipes....

My skin can be super sensitive at times
to soap or lotions, so
sometimes I make my own.

I was having an itching issue with
 laundry fabric softener,
(I bought a cheap one)
so,
 I went online and saw the recipe to
make my own.
It works great!
Super simple too!

Homemade Fabric Softener
6 cups of tap water
3 cups of white distilled vinegar
(I buy vinegar in gallon containers
because I use it in all kinds of
preparations, from canning to cleaning,
and it is really cheap)
2 cups of hair conditioner
(I use Suave in whatever scent I like)
pour into a gallon container
and shake well. 
I usually double the recipe
to have refills on hand.
  
and...

if you prefer dryer sheets, you can
do this...
1) get a few clean old washcloths...
2) pour the fabric softener mix into
a spray container,
using this ratio:1 part softener mix to 1 part water.
3) Shake well
4) Spray onto a wash cloth and toss into dryer.
(I spray liberally, not enough to drip though)
Works as well as pouring it in the washing machine tub!
I find this method works best with
sheets, pillowcases and towels. 
It may take a few minutes to make
but its much easier on the skin
and cheaper too!

Here's another....

All Purpose Cleaner
1) 2 cups vinegar
2) 2 cups water
3) 1/4 cup Dawn
I always double the amount
for refills.
(I also sometimes add orange peels for the scent)
all gets poured into a spray bottle.
Can be used on pretty much anything.
It's ok around food, dishes,
animals and people.
I disinfect the sink and bathroom with this stuff!
It never makes my hands itch
and it keeps my sponges clean smelling
between dishwasher cleanups.

********************************

Aging....
The biggest lie I tell myself
is
"I don't need to write that down,
I'll remember it..." 
Sure.....

and

when I hear my grandkids
singing songs that were popular in my teens
and are now sung badly by 
some singer/rapper that is
clearly a flash in the pan,
and they simply can't believe it because 
no music "that old"
was "that cool"
Ha!


*********************

My angel





Always hugs!


No comments: