Wednesday, March 4, 2020

March 4th

Don't know what band this is,
but the fact that they are
"Marching Fourth"
is good enough for me!
Today is a legit observable day.
It's also called,
Do Something Day.
Meant as a kind
of get off your butt day, I guess.
So, I did do something.....
I went outside to converse 
with the hens.

*****************


Talking to chickens is one thing
guaranteed to make people think
you've lost your marbles,
or 
at least misplaced a few.
Although it's something I do on
a regular basis, I really don't expect
much in the way of intelligent repartee.
After all,
what do they know?
Maybe a lot about egg laying and 
insect consuming with a fair to
middling knowledge of weather patterns
and backyard geography.
They can also accurately
cluck the answer to the question,
"Who's a pwetty widdle girl?"
But,
I realized, by asking that,
my linguistic skills devolve
to that of a first grader at best,
and my mental capacity feels shrunken.
Oh, well...
I still spend a good bit of time 
with our girls.
They really are intelligent.
As I've said before,
they come when called and
seem to know their names.
Although I'm touting their
respective intelligence,
Their opinions are suspect.
Anyhoo….
I guess if there's such a thing as
Goat Yoga,
there could be Hen Psychotherapy,
just sayin'


Nugget.
She has no concept of personal space.
She always walks on your feet.
She likes to be close to her humans.

As I'm walking in another area of the yard,
Nugget is at it again,
stepping on my feet.
She wants to be held.
Silly girl!

*******************************

Romanesco Broccoli.... getting bigger.

Eggplant flower. They are so pretty.
They have no smell,
but I love the color.
This plant is still producing eggplants.
Love it!

Elvis Parsley.


 Blood Orange tree.
We were gonna cut it completely down,
due to its' continually poor production,
but when the CEO saw the flowers
he didn't have the heart to do it.
It'll flower, but most of its'
fruit falls off under-developed,
or the flowers fall off because
the leaves wither.
So, we'll give it another year,
or so...
And the flowers smell wonderful.


Russet and Yukon Gold potatoes.
Potato leaves and flowers are poisonous
but the tubers are great!
They are members of the Nightshade family,
same as Tomatoes and Eggplants.


One of the Blueberry bushes,
covered in flowers.


Lettuce and radishes.

Spinach

Beets

****************************

Amaryllis buds

Gardenia buds

Chrysanthemums still blooming.


  and these guys....
This is called Wood Sorrel.
They are all over the place in yards.
It's really a weed, but
I love them.
I'd pick them to give to my Mom
when I was a kid.
Did you know that they are edible?
They must be free of chemicals,
but can be put into a salad.
They have a mild tangy taste.
Nope
I didn't eat these,
They went into a vase on the window sill.

***********************

My favorite chicken painting


My Life....
Some days I eat salads
and go walk on a treadmill,
Some days I snarf down 2 doughnuts
and refuse to wear pants,
It's called balance!



No comments: