Saturday, April 30, 2022

April 30th

Today is National Sense of Smell Day!
Some scents remind us of places or people,
or even unpleasant memories.

Play-doh reminds me of my kids.
Incense in church reminds me of Lent.

I remember, after my Dad died,
going into his closet and smelling 
his clothes. It really helped ease my pain.
Related to that, 
I hate the smell of
chrysanthemums because they
remind me of the flowers at his funeral.
I remember few things of my Father.
It's sad that the years have erased what
I've tried so hard to hold onto.
What I do remember is his easy smile.
I remember that after working
hard and spending long hours
all week, he'd spend the weekends
cutting grass or under the car
changing the oil,
or playing with us.
His generation was the "Can Do" one.
Those were the men who never
saw a problem they couldn't take on.
He had grown up during the Depression
and had seen a World War
only to be drafted into another one.
Hard times made him 
what he was,
time,
 made him my hero.

But I digress...



Did you know that there is an
actual place in Bethesda Maryland,
where they study odors?
It's called Sense of Smell Institute.
They study aromachology.
That's the study of odors and the 
influence on human behavior.
And..
The loss of smell diminishes with age.
So, 
I better get out there
and smell the roses!

 I went into the garden to
appreciate the smells.

First, 
the scent of Gardenia near 
my front door is intoxicating.


I just love the smell.
I was debating whether to cut some 
for inside, or to leave them on the bush.
Cut flowers never live long enough,
so, I opted to leave them.

Next, 
Geraniums.
They don't have a particularly sweet
flowery smell, but I like their scent 
just the same.


Marigolds go into that category too.
They have a distinctive smell
that I really like.


Roses.
Amazing smell!
It's weird how different varieties
have different "rosy" smells.


Amaryllis.
This isn't really a "smelly" flower,
but it does have a muted scent.


Bay Laurel flower.
Yes, it smells like a bay leaf,
and it's cute too.


Stargazer Lilies.
Ours haven't bloomed yet.
These beauties smell like cat urine!!
No idea why.
To keep the cut lilies from stinking
up your house, remove the stamens.
They'll still kinda smell, but it won't
be so overpowering.


***********************

Herbs have wonderful smells too!
These are:
Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme
and Mint
When you pass your hand over the
leaves, and it wafts up to you,
you can appreciate their
wonderful smells.


Basil, Mint and Stevia.


Carpet Thyme,
with its tiny pale purple flowers.


Cuban Oregano
A.K.A. Desi


A dragon fly on a rosemary twig.


*****************************


Blueberries.


Cherry Tomatoes


Artichoke.


More Cherry Tomatoes.



Purple Bell Peppers.



Summer Crook Neck Squash.


Purple Cauliflower


Yesterday's harvest.
Purple Bell Peppers,
Cherry Tomatoes and Jalapenos.


***************************


Our Milkweed hasn't attracted
any caterpillars, 
only Milkweed Beetles 
in love!



************************
Speaking of smells....

Hazel in a ray of sunshine.
Isn't she cute?


Ethel in the shade.


Lucy patrolling the yard.
That's a Bell Pepper at her feet.
If we don't harvest them quickly,
the girls eat them.


I couldn't find Nugget,
so the obvious place was in the coop.
I get the feeling she really 
didn't want me looking.
Or,
she's doing her impression of
Travis Bickle.
"You talkin' to me?"
"Well, I'm the only one here!"


Same with Minew.
That's a Great Garbo,
"I want to be alone"
gesture if I ever saw one.
What's with these guys?


**********************************


I agree Arthur.



************************************


💚💙





 

No comments: