Tuesday, May 10, 2022

May 10th

Today is a sad day.
Our pretty and always curious 
Rhode Island Red hen,
Nugget
passed away in her sleep.
She was almost 8 years old.
She was a pet more than
an egg layer.

I went into the coop early this
morning to let the girls out to eat
and I noticed that Nugget seemed
to still be asleep.
That's unusual for chickens to be
asleep after daybreak,
so I nudged her, hoping I
didn't startle her awake.
Her little body was cold.
Chickens body temperature 
can be around 106 degrees,
so I knew she had passed away.
The other girls were in and out
of the coop cooing.
My guess is that is their
way of grieving.

I decided to devote this short blog
entry to her.

Thanks for the silly memories and
your wonderful eggs.
It was a joy walking around the veggie
garden with you following so closely
waiting for a pat or to be picked up.
She was a sweet and gentle girl.
You were one of our first 5 chicks.
Your sisters Henny and Sandy
were killed and Pepper
passed away in my arms.
The three remaining hens
are lost and keep walking
into the roost looking for you.
We will miss you.
💔


A few of my favorite pictures of her.




You have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Rest in peace
pretty girl.


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww sorry to hear ❤️‍🩹