Monday, May 15, 2017

May 15th "National Straw Hat Day"

Today in 1940, nylons were first sold in the US. Dunno about you, but, I don't wear nylons, nor do I own a straw hat. This blog is nothing if not informative. This is my mission, to teach mankind on the inane trivial things that float around in my brain. It is also the first day that I've been in the garden in several days, and it was pretty hot! Not Africa hot like August in South Louisiana can be, but hot nonetheless.

The mallards flew in for an extended visit. They nibble on the herbs in the garden and the chicken feed in the coop. Seems that we are the Stuckey's of the duck world. A roadside pit stop without the Burma Shave signs.
They went in through the opened coop door like it was the entrance to Narnia. I guess all the fowl behave alike

 

They are inherently curious following us all around the yard. Now I know how Dorothy felt surrounded by a bunch of Munchkins. What a world! What a world!
 
 
 

The remains of the day. Breakfast this morning. So delicious!
 
 
 
 
 


Today's haul. Only 1 egg so far, but, as you know, the girls lay at different times. The cherry tomatoes are excellent! I have several ripe larger tomatoes that I can't wait to make into a sandwich. So New Orleans..... a tomato sandwich on French bread with Blue Plate mayo. Tasty!




The CEO gave me flowers for Mother's Day. It's a dozen roses for 5 kids, 5 grandkids and the 2 of us. They are so beautiful! He also made a chocolate cake! It was excellent. I had a piece the size of the Flatiron Building in New York, yum!

The girls make a bee line for the compost heap to dine on our vermiculture area. Big word for worm composting. The worms take cover when the girls come in and begin to scratch.
 
 
The artichoke bush. Look closely and you can see 6 of them.
 
 
This is another experiment. Its a peanut that a squirrel buried. It's growing nicely. We'll see if it produces, or the hens eat it. Whatever comes first. The little buggars ate my strawberry. Oh well, it was only the one berry, so I guess I'll let them have it.
 
 
mandarin orange
 
beets
 
 

more cherry tomatoes! Love 'em
 
 
An update on the mockingbird.........

that's the
 baby in the grass, stretching his wings, while mama protector looks on ready to dive bomb if necessary. They grow up so fast. She'll be an empty nester soon.  

No comments: