Monday, May 29, 2017

May 29th Memorial Day 2017

no words, just a thankful prayer........
 
 
Today began with a thunderclap. Quite literally. About 6am, as we were soundly sleeping we were jolted awake by the thunder and lightening. Don't know how the chickens faired in their coop, but the dog was glued to the side of our bed - shaking. I tried to get back to sleep, but that ship had sailed.
So, to prove an idiom, I was up with the chickens.
 
Once again, the temperature was lovely. An anomaly at the end of May in New Orleans, but albeit a welcomed one. It is still slightly drizzling. I love to watch the rain. It calms my soul.
 
Then I decided to let the hens out.
Hen Solo aka Henny was eyeballing me. She gave me that typical side eye that chickens do, like they are assessing you but they still feel far superior. Everyone else was waiting at the "starting gate".
As I walked to the front of the cage, they stopped clucking....... then they wait, like little raptor clawed runners. I slowly opened the clasp, and then the coop door. Annnnnnd they're off, wings flapping to their little hearts content, right into the herbs. Breakfast of Champions, herbs and bugs. Yum!
 
With the rain still coming down, I walked around to assess the garden. I was immediately drawn to the kumquat tree. It almost looks like a light snow covered the branches, the blooms are so prevalent. The sweet lovely scent evades the entire yard.
 
A few of the 'chokes are plumping up in the rain. I think they need to get just a bit bigger before we harvest.
 
 
The blueberries are loving this rain too.
 
The rain is coming down a bit harder now, so I figured I'd round up the girls. They had been out around 2 hours. They really weren't ready to get "cooped" up again and I wasn't ready to run around in the rain trying to corral them. I repeatedly told them I was sorry, but they don't seem to allow a simple mea culpa. I enlisted the aid of a piece of sliced bread. Its like crack to them. The minute they realize I have it, they run to grab a bite. I leave small bits like Hansel and Gretel, to the coop door. They follow it every time. Hope they never get wise to it. Ya gotta be smarter than the chickens  ;)
 
My son and daughter in law sent this picture from a quick trip to Portland Oregon.
Portland is known as the Rose City. This is a beautiful example!
Wish I could smell it.
Now on to making breakfast.
 
 

No comments: