Tuesday, October 1, 2019

October 1st

I found this picture on Pinterest.
I love the tranquil beauty of a 
Louisiana swamp scene.

Well, it's finally FALL!
Yay!
Not really for us down in the deep south.
The weather is still oppressively hot!
To quote Neil Diamond,
"You can almost hear yourself sweat."
The heat and humidity are especially
hard on people with asthma.
Me!
It has me breathing like the losing horse
in the last lap at the Kentucky Derby!
(I had to use a simile)

The chicken girls are starting to grow their feathers back,
but only Hazel has been laying eggs daily.
I had to get a dozen eggs from the grocery.
It is definitely not the same.
I noticed that the yolks are much lighter
and the shells are fragile.
I am really spoiled by our girls!

Thanks Hazel.
(she said "You're welcome")

Since the comb tearing incident,
Nugget's comb lays across her face at times.
It is especially pronounced now that she
has less feathers on her head.
She reminds me of the old time actress,
Veronica Lake.
Ha!
(But Nugget is way cuter, right?)

Early morning critter patrol.
Looks like they've found a few.

Lucy, Ethel and Hazel,
 checking out the compost heap.
They were spending so much time in there that,
I swear,
I thought I caught a glimpse of Jimmy Hoffa!



*******************************

There are 3 cucuzza's in this picture.
Can you find them?

Last week our harvest was in full swing.
The cucuzza's went crazy!

I froze some, gave some away and
I dehydrated some.
I dipped these in basalmic vinegar and then in
Italian flavored breadcrumbs before dehydrating.
Very tasty, healthy snacks.


The peppers are still giving us all they've got!
Isn't this a beautiful sight?

This morning I noticed this little guy,
all by his lonesome,
poking up his head.
Asparagus tastes so much better
when it is freshly picked.

*************************
Last week I noticed a misspelled sign on some candy 
at a local gas station.
It reminded me of a picture we took while on 
vacation in Tennessee.
It was a blackboard sign in front of a fruit stand.
It read "We be open",
so,
in the same vein, 
I found these gems online....
 
We might be able to understand this error.
After all, the "N" and the "M" are
next to each other on the keyboard,
but why didn't the person see it later???

Huh?


I had to read this one twice.
It's better if you read it aloud.

And this.....
My personal favorite.
I think I'll call it that from now on.

***********************

Here's another of my daughter's recipes,
Lasagna

Ingredients: 
1 pound of sweet Italian sausage
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large white onion minced
5 cloves of crushed garlic
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 6oz cans tomato paste
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup chopped basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 pound lasagna noodles
30oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
1lb sliced mozzarella
1 cup grated parmesan

Assemble:
Cook sausage and meat until browned.
Add, sugar, basil, oregano, onion, garlic,
crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce
and chicken broth.
Simmer on low heat for about 4 hours.
The mixture will reduce.
When it's done, put the lasagna noodles in a pan 
and pour hot water over them.
Let them soak for about 30 minutes.
Then drain.
In a mixing bowl, combine the egg and ricotta cheese
and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble 
the lasagna.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Spray or grease a deep, 9x13 pan.
Then begin building the lasagna.
Spread a layer of the meat sauce first.
Then layer the noodles.
On top of the noodles, add more meat sauce 
with a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture.
Then sprinkle some parmesan cheese,
and repeat layering accordingly.
Cover the top with all the rest of the parmesan and ricotta.
Cover with foil.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake for 25 more minutes,
to allow to cheese to brown.
Looks Yummy!
Thanks for the contribution.
Can't wait to try it!!!

****************************************


This is a little weed, but it is so cute
I can't pull it.

Another weed, but it's climbing on the 
old mirliton trellis,
so I'll pull it up when the flowers die.
So pretty!

************************************





No comments: