Thursday, October 31, 2019

October 31st Halloween

Happy All Hallows Eve!

Can't wait to see the little ones
in their costumes tonight.
I hope they bundle up!
It's 50 degrees out.
This Halloween started out
rainy and cold.
It's been a few years since we've had
weather like this.
The recent weather has been all over the place.
Last week a tropical storm blew through.
Some downed branches...

A few destroyed veggies...

A bunch of blood oranges downed...

A tomato bush blew over...
But all in all,
we were lucky.
No real lengthy power outage,
no real damage.

**********************

The new Lavender plant made it with no ill 
effects from the storm.
My old Lavender plant died.
I haven't had much luck with them.
Hoping this time is the charm.


This is a new kind of plant for us,
Portuguese Oregano.
Tasty.

This is a rescue succulent.
The CEO brought a few leaves home
from the nursery where they had fallen
from the Mother plant.
We weren't sure if they'd grow,
but we are really pleased with these.

New plants sprout from the "nursery" leaf.

****************************

The girls are beginning to lay again after their hiatus
of molting and the scare of their
sister "leaving the nest".
Thank goodness.
We had to break down and
buy a dozen eggs!

Segue into Zombie Hens!
As I've explained before,
chickens are omnivores.
They'll eat anything.
As a matter of fact, it's good to give them
extra protein during their molt.
The feathers are protein based and 
they lose valuable nutrients during
that process.
So.....
we give them beef and pork fat.
They gobble it down like a longshot
in a competitive hot dog eating contest!

So...
for Halloween, I gave them a treat,
some cooked 
chicken fat.
Yeah, CHICKEN FAT....
Yes, they were probably
cannibals!
But,
what better day to try it?
Before I gave it to them,
I had a mini moral dilemma.
Should I feed them chicken?
Are there any "chicken ethics" on 
feeding that to them?
Then I had a "what the hell"
moment and just threw it in the grass.
They came a'runnin' to grab
a tasty morsel of some
dearly departed kin.
At least they didn't eat brains!
Bwahahahaha!!!

**********************************
Since the day of the week is Thursday,
as in "Throwback Thursday",
I thought I'd post a picture of myself 
and my sister from the '50's.
Her costume is a recycle of
a Christmas play.
No, she wasn't an angel,
she was Little Jesus.
She doesn't remember the play,
only that she hadda ride in a wagon
and tell people that she was Jesus.
We've laughed so had at this.
60 odd years after the fact
it's hysterical!
Although we can't remember 
exactly what our Mom 
had in mind for her costume on Halloween,
10 months after the play,
we just assumed that she became an angel.
Me, on the other hand...
I got the oilcloth witches costume
complete with a crepe paper hat
and a Fuller Brush broom!
Always homemade costumes for us.
(Although I don't think either of us
look particularly happy to 
get our pictures taken)

Now on to this century....

The irony of my grandson who hates 
bugs wanting to be Spider-Man
for Halloween, isn't lost
on this family.


My daughter.
This is really amazing!
Her friend, a make up artist,
did this for her.
She said it took over 4 hours!
How cool is this?


********************************
A spooky picture of the Cabildo
and Cathedral


The part that went over the fence last!








No comments: