Sunday, October 11, 2020

October 11th

The ancient Greeks believed that opals gave their 
owners the gift of prophecy and guarded them
from diseases. The Europeans considered the stone
unlucky for anyone to wear if they weren't born
in October, and they thought the stone had the
power to preserve life and the color of blond hair.
Which brings me to the subject of today's post.

Today is my sister's birthday.
Just look at that little face!
She's such a cutie.
She is the only person who has been through
the same highs and lows as I have since
our beginning.
She has been my rock when I faltered.
She is the one who will always be there for me
even when I can't be there for myself.
She forgives my silliness and
champions my causes.
She would cheer me on to my greatest
heights and console me when I've fallen.
(But she'd laugh her butt off first!)
She bites her tongue when I've done 
something stupid when she could easily
say, "I told you so."
So, my earnest hope is that I die
before her because I never want to live 
in a world without her in it.
So, today I'm grateful because it means
another year of happiness and joy
for her.
(Yes, even in 2020!)
Happy Birthday to my sweet sister.
I love you!!! πŸ’—
This could be us....
but no hats!
We have abnormally small heads.
Ha!
πŸ˜‚


**************************************

The veggie garden
is only producing bell peppers
these days.
We have a few tomato plants
but they haven't produced any fruit yet.


We are starting some celery in yogurt cups.
The older celery died off in the heat,
so hopefully these will do well
once we plant them.


(I'm trying out a new font)
This is tarragon and Thai Basil
that I cut yesterday.


*****************************


The CEO bought a bag of crickets
as a snack for the girls.
They are searching for them.


The crickets were very silent
so not to get caught and eaten,
but a couple seconds after they were
released they were chirping.
I came across this interesting snippet...
Here's a "did you know?" 

So, I looked it up...
On the NOAA weather site,
they actually have a 
Cricket Chirp Converter.
How freakin' cool is that?
Oh, and to chirp, they rub a specialized 
body part on the top of their wings
with their legs - but generally
only the males do this.

**************************

I got a new toy.
My Medicare supplement insurance
company gives us each a $50 dollar
quarterly stipend  for over the counter items.
This thermometer was calling out to me.
I think it was $9.
I had noticed it in the list of health
and wellness items and I grabbed it.
It takes a forehead, ear and ambient temperature.
It also speaks!
Oooh!
It made me as happy as a seagull
with a mouth full of french fries!!
I was taking the temperature of everything!
(The CEO wasn't too happy about
me taking his temperature several
different times 😁)


We comply with CDC guidelines
and wear masks!

******************************

This was the only casualty
from Hurricane Delta
at our house.
Thankfully.

***********************************

The other day as I was coming home from
dropping the kids off at school in the morning,
I was driving parallel with the canal on 
West Esplanade Ave, between
Transcontinental Drive and David Drive.
I was startled by a large bird swooping into the canal
and quickly coming back out with 
something in it's mouth.
When I say large, it easily had a 5 foot wing span.
Anyway, I turned the car around and got these pictures.
It was 2 bald eagles!
The one leaning down is the one with 
something in it's mouth.

I've seen them in the cypress trees
west of Kenner, in their huge nests,
but not hunting in a well traveled
area like this.
Beautiful animals!
I went home to check on the girls,
there are predators out and about.

******************************

And this from Lewis Carroll......


πŸ”







 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Fancy Font for Fancy Tarragon
Eagles were impressive