Saturday, October 31, 2020

October 31st Halloween!


This post will be short because
we are still cleaning up
after the storm.
Not that much to clean up, but we're old. 
😂
I went for the generic cutie ghost
because I just can't bring myself to
post a scary Halloween picture....
This year has been scary enough!
I think this puts the correct spin on it.
Ya think?
And the sad part is, it
ain't over yet!
The fat lady hasn't sung a note yet.

*********************

There have been 8 Gulf storms this year.
At one point or another,
all 8 hit Louisiana.
Lucky us!
(no sarcasm font)
That's a record.
Not a very good record,
but a record nonetheless.
So, when Jim Cantore said "this year
will be a very active Gulf of Mexico
storm year."
We believe it!
Our home didn't see hardly any damage,
and we thanked the good Lord for that.
As my son said "At least it wasn't another
blow to Lake Charles and Cameron Parish!"

The veggie garden was beaten down,
but we think most of the plants will rally.
Here's Pepper standing next to
the mustard greens she loves so much.

The siding on the eaves pulled back,
but it'll be an easy fix.


The rosemary in that huge urn
turned onto it's side,
but it's fine when we tilted it back.
Just a couple of broken branches.

There were a lot of leaves and twigs
that we picked/raked up and used some in the
compost heap.
The weather cooperated with low temps and humidity,
and made sleeping nice without electricity even with the
windows open.
The power was restored yesterday evening.


The chicken girls retired to their coop very early
on Wednesday before the storm actually hit.
💦💧💨
When the skies started getting dark,
before the rain started,
they all "came home to roost".
Just remember Chicken Little.
I think the hens are more sensitive to weather
changes than my allergies,
or my arthritis.
Ha!
😆

*****************************
Yesterday morning, this little guy
came looking for food.
We moved the chicken feed out of the coop
and the backyard fauna came in 
droves to eat.
There were the wrens, mourning doves, jays,
grackles, a crow and several squirrels.

*************************

While the power was out, we made use of 
flashlights and candles.
It was a nice ambience, but it left dark
areas unless the beam of light was 
aimed directly in front as you walked.
I was hyper-aware to not stumble and fall.
But,
it reminded me of an incident I had while
walking in the dark, last week.
I couldn't sleep, so I walked into 
the den as quietly as I could.
No, I didn't put on the lights.
I've been in this house for 41+ years
and I instinctively know where everything is.
You'd think that I would be able to navigate
a few feet in the dark, right?
Well, you'd be wrong.
I was walking as slowly as I could and 
had my arms out in front of me,
like I was auditioning for 
The Walking Dead,
when I jammed my cockadoodie pinky toe
on the iron leg of the coffee table.
First reaction: What the holy Hell??
(Because the pain receptors in my brain were
apparently still asleep)
Second reaction: Try not to scream. So, the sounds that I made
came out like a bad recording of whales mating.
Third reaction: (When the pain finally flared in my brain)
I grabbed my foot while doing a 
pirouette and launched my flailing body
onto the couch, nearly falling off!
Now, 
I've done this before, so you'd think that, 
that particular pinky toe would avoid
the near occasion of trauma at all costs.
No, it didn't.
Nope,
Not at all!
So,
in the dark, I was sure of 3 things.
1) I've broken my toe.
2) I'm bleeding all over my area rug.
3) I'll need pain meds, STAT!
(After scrutinizing the affected area,
the only thing I actually did was,
get a black and blue toe with a 
small scrape)
All this makes me wonder....
Why do we have pinky toes?
What is their actual function besides
an early warning system to watch out
for close objects?
To sacrifice themselves in the line
of duty for the rest of the body?
Are ALL the damned nerves in the foot located
in the pinky toe to alert the brain?
and...
Is this God's idea of a joke?
In the course of my 68 years on earth,
I'm sure I've jammed one or both of
my pinky toes at least once a year!
No,
as I said,
I never learn.
👀

 *********************************

Not my carving.
I found it on Pinterest.
Happy Halloween
👻



1 comment: