Friday, October 2, 2020

October 2nd

I love looking up meanings of words.
The Roman word "calends" is derived from the
Greek word meaning to announce or begin.
Scholars believe that it was in reference to 
the beginning of a lunar cycle or the day
of a first full moon. 
Hence the English word, calendar.
So....
the official flower for the month of October,
is the Calendula.
There's a few reasons for that.
It's also known as a pot marigold because it
is related to marigolds, has a similar smell and the
early Romans used it as seasoning in "pots" of stewed food.
This flower was originally called "Mary's Gold"
by early Christians, probably due to
it's tendency to bloom in October, a month
dedicated liturgically to the Blessed Mother.
Yes, it is totally edible.
It has been used in herbal remedies for centuries.


This is called "Creeping Oxeye"
or "Trailing Daisy".
It's an invasive weed, whose stems become woody
and difficult to eradicate completely.
We've been trying to get rid of it for
a few growing seasons, but I guess
it really needs to be sprayed with 
a chemical to completely do that.
That's something we can't do because of the hens.
(Besides, it's kinda cute)
😏


This is a Morning Glory.
Yes, it's another weed, albeit a pretty one.
There's no smell to it and it is invasive as well.
The vines are surprisingly tough.
They, like the Trailing Daisy, are really
difficult to control.
They need to be pulled out by the roots
but that can prove to be difficult. 
We've taken to using a small shovel to get to the
entire root, only to have it sprout back up
in a week.
The joys of gardening!


When I was looking up info on
calendulas,
I saw this picture of a baby duck 
sitting in a patch of mint,
wearing a calendula hat.
And he's asleep....
Awwww..
😊



***********************************


The girls are really into helping in the garden.
Every time we are weeding or planting,
they come running to "help".
(It's really only a ruse to grab
an unsuspecting earthworm or grub)


Ethel, Hazel, Lucy and Nugget
on patrol.


Pepper walking directly in front of me
to slow me down.
Hey, girl, stay in your lane!


Lucy looking  good perched on the 
wrought iron chair.


*********************************



The watermelon vine is still producing
a few "icebox watermelons.
This one is about the size of a softball.
This type of melon doesn't get very big,
so as we harvest them, they get
gobbled up pretty quickly.


Collard greens for the hens.
They love their 
green leafy veggies!


Today's harvest of bell peppers.


And these too....



I canned my last batch of peppers.
It made four 8oz jars and four 4oz jars.
I used a 4oz jar for salad dressing yesterday.
This is a sweet and sour pepper-garlic sauce.

I make it every year with the peppers,
fresh garlic and onions.
I've added cranberries at times too,
but for this batch, I didn't have any.
It's great with chicken, beef or pork
and I make the salad dressing
 by adding olive oil.

**********************


In these unusual, to say the least, times
with the world feeling like it's falling apart,
and the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel
feeling as though it has burned out,
I'd like to impart two nuggets of
indisputable wisdom.

 The first is:
I don't think that in my 68 years of living,
I would have ever dreamed of entering
a bank with the intention of making a withdrawal,
while wearing a mask and being greeted by
a friendly teller, while unloading my
large purse on the counter.
😆

and this...

So, on that note.....






 

No comments: