Wednesday, June 14, 2017

June 14th Flag Day


In honor of flag day, we've got about 9 small flags adorning the front of the house.
 
 

This painting is especially beautiful to me. It's of Yosemite's Half Dome. Awe inspiring site!
Our vacation there last year was one of the best places I've ever been.
 
Yesterday, as the CEO collected eggs, he dropped one. So much for the old adage, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". He hurriedly cleaned it up. We don't want the girls to develop a taste for eggs!
 
 
The 2 new girls, Lucy and Ethel are coming along fine.
 

This is the baby "Lucy". She's still a bit intimidated by the other girls, but she's younger by far. She likes to cuddle and then falls asleep. Every time I put her down, she tried to hop back up into my lap. Silly girl.
 
The tomatoes are starting to ripen fast. I wash and cut them and then lay them in the dehydrator. The left is a before and the right is an after. In this damp weather it may take a bit longer to completely dehydrate, but on the whole, it's usually around 6 to 8 hours. I then put them in a zip lock type bag to keep moisture out.
 
 
 
beets
 
 
huge beets!
 
I guess chicken poop in the compost heap does work wonders! We ate them last night. I boiled them, then served with butter. Very tasty! I kept the tops to replant. Hopefully we'll get another beet crop.
 
These are cucumbers, or as the CEO likes to call them, the pickle plant.
With these, I just wash them well, and place in the fridge, in a pickle jar. I save the pickle juice from a large jar. It really doesn't matter if the original pickles were sweet or dill, its simply your taste. The family typically likes the dill ones. In a few weeks, you've got pickles. Simple as that!
 
Egg production has increased. They taste so good! Even the dog gets an egg in her breakfast bowl.
 
 
 
The Mallards have come to visit again. They've taken to scoping out the area first by doing a bit of high level reconnaissance. Then, if the coast is clear, they fly in for a landing.
 
 
 
Meet Lucy. All she wants to do is be held. Its so funny. I guess you'd call her a "lap chicken". This is her selfie. She's chirping like a little bird. Chicken lips, you ask? Nope.
She's doing an Al Pacino impression. "You talking to me? Well I'm the only one here!"
 
 
 
 
Thought for the day.......
We put a man on the moon before they put wheels on freaking luggage!
Just saying..............
 

No comments: