Thursday, August 10, 2017

August 10th

Today was the first day back to school. The kids were so excited to begin another year. Wondering who was in their class. Wearing their new uniforms and shoes. Those smiling faces were so cute this morning.
I remember those times too. The smell of a new schoolbag and new books, not to mention the mimeographed sheets that the teachers handed out.
That was decades ago! It's almost hard to remember back that far sometimes.
Back in the "olden times", school started much later than the second week of August.
We went back at the beginning of September,
and walked 10 miles,
uphill both ways.......
in a hurricane.


The rain is still happening almost every day.
A few of those days, there was even some street flooding.
This shot was taken today at 1:30pm. You'd never know that, because it looks so dark. I swear, I thought I saw a shark in those clouds!
 Sharknado 6, The Sharkalypse!!!
 
 
The sun did peek out a few times, so I snapped this "reverse shot" of the puddle on the cement (pond) patio.
But, about an hour later, the rain started up again and I had to get indoors quick.
The wind was blowing the rain onto the patio and everything was getting wet, including me.
So, I took this picture from the kitchen window. A small lake was beginning to form.
The chickens were huddled under the patio table in a feathery bunch. Nugget, however, braved the wind and water, to sample the plethora of small snails coming out to escape the lake in the yard.
 
 
 
That's Lucy and Ethel waiting out the downpour.
 
 
 

During the lull in the rain, I was hand feeding the girls some dried grubs. Obviously, Nugget thought I was taking way too long, so, she helped herself!
 
 

Yesterday, the kids and I made some macadamia white chocolate chip cookies. They were so good. I made 2 dozen. They were so good, there were none left this morning.  :(
 
 
This morning, we made Leia Heads.
That's our version of refrigerated dough biscuits.
Rachel used blue food coloring to make the face.
Then, we cut them open and put butter and a piece of sliced cheese.
Yum!!
 
Here's the real thing. See the uncanny resemblance?
She's the best dog ever!
She is a once in a lifetime dog.
If you happen to get two dogs like her in your life, as I have, its like winning the Powerball and the Superbowl  all in one!!
 
 
The rain stopped.
I had put a pan out to catch some rain water for the birdbath. I emptied what I caught into the bird bath, but they didn't play in the water.
They played in the empty pan.
I wonder if they see the irony...... ;)
 
 
 
Thought for the day.......
 
I dream of a world,
where a chicken can cross a road
without her motives questioned.
 
 
Chicken Fun Facts:
Didya know?
1) There are about 25 billion chickens in the world.
2) Chickens were probably first domesticated around 8000 BC in Asia.
3) Chickens are very clever and can be housebroken and use kitty litter.
4) Chickens are the closest living relative to T Rex.
5) A freshly laid chicken egg is 105 degrees Fahrenheit.  
6) And lastly....... the chicken actually did evolve before the egg.
 

2 comments:

Sue said...

Enjoyed it! And we were lucky, we had Mac. I still think about him.

EarthMother said...

Thanks. I seriously think you are the only person who reads my blog. Ha Ha!