Sunday, October 1, 2017

October 1st

This morning it was finally cool.
It was windy and overcast too.
A great day to do yard work.
The CEO and I got out there quite early. We planted the plants we got yesterday.
Sweet potato vine, caladiums, mums and begonias.
 
 
Sweet potato vine and mums
 
 
This is the sweet potato vine with my amaryllis
 
 
a new planter too
 
 

These are weeds.
Weeds!
How pretty are they?
They are along my back fence. I don't have the heart to pull them up till after they finish blooming.
 
 
 
On September 29th, we scoped out the Kenner Boat Launch. It was a beautiful night.
The weather was cool then too.
The kids loved it.

There were several guys fishing on the pier.
We didn't see them reel in anything, but they had a few in their coolers.
 
Some musings from my weird mind........
Why, in heavens name would anyone want to know if they were Neanderthal???
I'm pretty sure I've know a few cavemen in my lifetime.
They'd have no need for a DNA test for clarification.
 
 
 
Irony?
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil.
Cuz, I'm the meanest son of a bitch in the valley!
 
 
The CEO brought me takeout. I wasn't sure where he went, but it looks kosher to me.
Oy!
 
 
 
Now for an update on the hens.......
Although there's 7 girls, not all are layers.
Not all lay every day either.
This is today's product of hard work by Ethel, Hazel, Sandy and Pepper.
We went out to refresh their water supply and we had a surprise.
 
The head count didn't add up.
Only 6
Uh, oh!
No Hazel. Couldn't find her anywhere in the yard.
Seems that she decided to take a stroll over to the neighbors front yard.
They are "free range", but that's a bit much.
We galvanized the family to grab her.
That small taste of "front yard" was too tantalizing.
She took off running.
Little sucker could run! I looked it up, chickens can run at about 10 miles an hour.
I can guarantee that the senior citizens in this house cannot run -
Now, the younger ones took up that baton.
It took a few minutes of chasing till they finally grabbed her.
 
Now she's walking around the yard like she's been to Europe to visit the Queen and the other girls are following her in awe........
Chickens!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Lovely Day with a little adventure thrown in the mix. How did Hazel breakout ❓ Did the others distract you while Hazel made a run for the gate❓

EarthMother said...

She simply went out of the side gate. It wasn't locked and the wind blew it slightly ajar. We noticed that it wasn't completely closed when we were frantically looking for her. The others really did follow her around in the aftermath. Maybe they smelled the freedom on her. LOL!