Sunday, March 11, 2018

March 11th





It's Sunday 3/11, but its never too early to say Happy St Paddy's Day.
I'm reading the paper.
Its just me and Leia.
I'm sitting in the kitchen with the natural light coming in the kitchen window and she's lying at my feet.
Its overcast and looks like rain any moment.
I love the rain......
I digress.
(feels like I'm trying to write Haiku, LOL!)

I was just thinking....
On March 10th in 1876 Alexander Bell's assistant, Thomas Watson, heard his "Master's Voice".
It was such a breakthrough.
Bell was in the next room and said "Mr. Watson come here, I want to see you".
The.
Next.
Room.
What?
Seriously?
I remember reading this for some long forgotten history class and thinking,
"Did he really hear him on the phone or through the walls?"
Had he been talking to my Mom, she would have heard him loud and clear
WITHOUT any device!
She knew details from my one sided conversations that I found nothing short of clairvoyant.
It's serendipitous that Mr. Watson was male.
It would have made for a whole different historical record had it been Mr. Bells' Mom!
And.....
Since I'm on the "phone" subject,
I'm glad the initial greeting upon answering the phone is "Hello".
I coulda been Ahoy!
Just sayin'.

                                              Some of the plants are coming back just fine
The buds are Amaryllis,
can't wait till they open!

This is my little "mailbox"garden.
Chrysanthemum, creeping sedum and dusty miller.
 
New developments with the backyard mini farm.
The hens have had some unwanted company.
This isn't an actual mugshot of the hawk that's been hanging around,
but it certainly looks like him!
He sits on our wooden fence and harasses
the hens.
All he does is stare, unblinkingly at them.
He hasn't done anything overt, yet.
Last week he managed to catch a squirrel.
I saw him up in the tree with his unfortunate "lunch".
He's about the same size as the hens, so I don't think
he poses them an actual threat,
But....
You never know.
 
And
this guy
(again, not an actual mugshot)
He watches silently from the neighbors roof.
I've seen him eyeballing the girls in the evenings.
They are hyper aware when there is any predator around.
They stay under things or go back into the coop.
This guy is actually smaller than the hens,
so
I hope he poses no real threat as well.
The thing is,
both the hawk and the owl are beautiful
birds of prey!
I have never seen either one of these animals that close.
Just hope they don't get closer.
 
The girls don't mind sharing the larder with the friendly neighborhood
fauna as long as they aren't on the menu.
The Mallard couple are still around,
periodically.
I think they are only here for the food and fresh water.
I can't find a nest,
and the girls would never allow the female duck in their coop!
 
 
Today there are a couple of parades for St Patrick's Day.
Any excuse for a parade, right?
So...
 

 

No comments: